Fundies kicked my a$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Celebration should be in The Pub. This forum is for basic scuba discussions. So let's discuss.
Well, first off if you think we celebrate in The Pub, you obviously don't go in there very often. The Pub is mostly discussions about politics ... not diving.

Secondly, why SHOULDN'T Basic Discusions be a place to celebrate progress on our diving skills ... however we happen to come by them. Why should anyone object to someone discussing a class that they took ... whether it be Fundies, TDI Extended Range, or the successful completion of a basic PADI OW class?

Fun is exactly the reason why we dive ... I can't think of a better reason for a discussion in this forum.

All I hear is how Fundies made so much possible, but no details. To me, it sounds exactly like, "I found [insert deity of choice] and my life is so much better now". Better how? What exactly did Fundies do for you that made your diving "more FUN"? Safe, I can understand, but "fun"?
Perhaps it's just me ... but I don't have any desire to discuss details of a class with someone who's so obviously dead-set against it ... that would be such a waste of time. It ain't my place to convince you that any class I took is right for you. And when you start putting it in terms that are so apparently intended to denigrate other people's experiences, it pretty much eliminates my desire to discuss with you at all. Why bother? Nothing constructive will come of it, except perhaps to entertain those who come here looking for train wrecks.

Dive in whatever way pleases you ... and let others do the same. Probably in this case, the best approach would be for you to just click to a thread that's discussing something you ARE interested in ... and leave those who are interested in this topic to discuss it without your negative commentary ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Crush - congrats on the pass and the entry into a whole new world of diving. You've got a great community out there, so go diving with them, have fun, and if you're ever on this coast drop me a line.

Best,
Ari

I'm glad you enjoyed the class. Congrats! ANY continued training is good.

One of the biggest complaints we have all read over and over again on SB about PADI, NAUI and the rest regarding training is that the training is too relaxed/basic and lacks consistency across the board. I always find it amusing when people attack a Fundies class that specifically addresses those well known issues. I also find it hard to believe that anyone who disdains said class couldn't find at least ONE thing they like about it or could learn from it.

I am not a religious person but some of what various religions teach makes wonderful sense to me. You don't always have to be a follower or believer of something to benefit from it.

Dive in whatever way pleases you ... and let others do the same. Probably in this case, the best approach would be for you to just click to a thread that's discussing something you ARE interested in ... and leave those who are interested in this topic to discuss it without your negative commentary ...
While I'm not really interested in the class itself - that interested quickly waned even back when it was free - I am interested in the phenomenon of the cult mentality and its application to diving. That's OK, I've had my fun. I'll leave y'all to finish celebrating.

While I'm not really interested in the class itself - that interested quickly waned even back when it was free - I am interested in the phenomenon of the cult mentality and its application to diving. That's OK, I've had my fun. I'll leave y'all to finish celebrating.

So you think promoting misinformation about a class, and disparaging the people who take it is fun?

Got it ... that tells me all I need to know about your motives for posting here ... :troll:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

While I'm not really interested in the class itself - that interested quickly waned even back when it was free - I am interested in the phenomenon of the cult mentality and its application to diving.

Cult mentality abounds on SB. You will find some ardent believers with sed and contra positions on:
  • SpareAir vs pony bottle vs doubles;
  • BP&W vs BC;
  • split fins vs paddles;
  • dive computers vs no dive computers;
  • long vs short hose;
  • octo vs Air2;
  • PADI vs NAUI vs...

That's OK, I've had my fun. I'll leave y'all to finish celebrating.

:party: But we were just beginning! :partytime: First round is on me! :party:

So you think promoting misinformation about a class, and disparaging the people who take it is fun?

Bob, I personally didn't take offence. In fact, I laughed aloud at the cult reference. A quick chat with my GUE instructor will confirm that I haven't swallowed hook, line and sinker.

Before you go (from a basic forum where bashing/flaming as you have done is against the rules btw) maybe you could offer up one small thing that you do like about a Fundies class? I am not looking to pick at you either, I am only looking to extract something positive from what you have offered here on this topic. I understand you will never take the class, but maybe there is something good even in just the concept of a Fundies class that you could pass on to new divers reading this thread? Surely life isn't so black and white?

To truly hate something you have to know it first IMHO. At this point all I get from you is that you hate Fundies and "the cult mentality that comes with it" with an almost religious and cult like hatred yourself. That's kinda ironic and not very friendly.

Btw, the people here on this thread may be religious about diving, some may even wear the same rig, but at no point did they ever act as if they all wear the same white sneakers and sit around all day waiting for a comet to pass by and pick them up.

So how about it? Can you play Devil's advocate with yourself and offer something genuinely good about the class without being cynical, comical or back handed in any way?

Congrats on the pass. I tried a number of years back as a very new diver, failed horribly, and haven't gotten around to trying again, but it was still a huge influence. I really should find time to let Ed Hayes have another whack at me, and I won't even mention how much fun I've been having in my sidemount rig(which looks remarkably DIR like)!

but at no point did they ever act as if they all wear the same white sneakers and sit around all day waiting for a comet to pass by and pick them up.

But, but, but, you promised the ship was coming tonight to pick all of us up. And, the Kool-aid was ready to drink.

Back
Top Bottom