fusion leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have those in this thread who have had problems using the patch kit, put the patch on the inside or outside of the core?

You can use a heat gun on that bilam material?

FYI the Thank you button does not work for older posts. As you saw this post was started 8 months ago and only recently had activity. I guess maybe the moderator could put a sticky about that, but no one would read it anyway.

Oh, yes, I am very aware of this; in fact, was fussing the day it was implemented . . .

Great Video! Thanks for posting it.:D

A heat gun vs a hair dryer makes all the difference in the world.

Uh, YEAH!!! I have a heat gun, I would have used it if I'd known!!!! ALL settings on a heat gun are WAY hotter than any hairdryer!!!! :eek:hbrother:

PD carefully, I would say . . . .

Yes - just be careful - don't overheat any one area or it will burn through - just like using the heat gun on the heat tape seals - swirl it and then use a wallpaper seam roller - it will stay stuck and solid! It is IMPORTANT to use the MEK - it removes all oils and other material from the site and allows for superior adhesion.

Yes - just be careful - don't overheat any one area or it will burn through - just like using the heat gun on the heat tape seals - swirl it and then use a wallpaper seam roller - it will stay stuck and solid! It is IMPORTANT to use the MEK - it removes all oils and other material from the site and allows for superior adhesion.

Uh, MEK is better or just an alternative to acetone? Acetone I have . . .

I used acetone to clean mine when I changed seals. Seemed to do the same job.

Uh, MEK is better or just an alternative to acetone? Acetone I have . . .
I used acetone to clean mine when I changed seals. Seemed to do the same job.
Structurally speaking, acetone is quite similar to MEK; both have one carbonyl carbon flanked by alkyl groups. Their respective dielectric constants and dipole moments are also very close. I'd be surprised if one would work and not the other. After all, you are just using it as a "cleaning" agent to prep the adherent surfaces. If Kern's Fusion starts disintegrating in the vicinity of his seals, then we'll know that acetone is bad for the drycore bilam. :wink:

MEK is quite cheap. I bought a 32 oz. can at Home Depot the other day for about $6.
FYI, any hardware store should carry it. Remember to take proper safety precautions when working with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom