Fusion Tech or Apeks KVR1 for Cave and Wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squandering

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new in that forum and I hope that I managed to post in the right section.

I want to buy my first drysuite which should fit for future cave and wreck diving.
I did the drysuite training (and a cave instruction dive) with an Aqualung Fusion One and I loved that drysuite.
After a lot of research and consideration I decided to buy ether the Fusion Tech or the Apeks KVR1.
I like the specs of the KVR1 a lot but I am afraid that the KVR1 is not as comfortable and flexible - as I am used of the Fusion One and therefore I wonder if the Tech would be the better option.

Does anyone have experience with the KVR1 and the Fusion Tech?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I am located in Austria. I would like to go to Bratislava, France and at some point to Mexico .. so yes, I have to fly to get there.

if you are planning on flying, I would look at the Rofos RS450. Made in Italy, very light and flexible. Ideal for cave diving. For wreck penetration you should consider a second suit if you are doing the wreck diving locally. Something like an O3 Ri-1-100. Slightly less convenient for travel since they're heavier, but they are the most durable suits. Unfortunately you have to choose which is more important, durability, or travel friendly....

Or just use a fusion one which is very cheap and comfortable and repair/buy a new skin if you ever damage it.

I bought my fusion one from a dealer, brand new for 700$ all in. And that's canadian dollars.

If you ever get to the point of doing dives where damage to you drysuit would be very serious/dangerous, I'd find a heavier duty drysuit, but at that point in time you'll probably have a few hundred dives on the fusion one and will know what you want/don't want in a drysuit.

I think many people buy heavy duty drysuits when they don't need them, and because of that aren't as confortable.

Also heavy duty almost always means heavier, bulkier and longer to dry.

Just another opinion :) :cheers:

the tech does have a bit of stretch compared to the bullet and kvr1. i had to go up one size for the bullet skin to have a good range of motion. the sport is the closest to the fusion one. the tech is not as stretchy but still has a little bit of stretch.

the new aircore does make a difference, but honestly at the pricepoint for a fusion tech, i would rather check out an ursuit kevlar BDS. this is assuming you aren't getting a massive keyman discount.

I dive Whites Fusion Tech. The critical remarks - somewhat difficult to don and doff, The pocket flaps are difficult to feel through dry gloves. People usually stich some webbing or other harder material to them. The skin also does not dry so fast as true bi- or trilam suits. Otherwise Fusion Tech is a great suit. Flexible and easy for controlling trim and buoyancy (bubble control). TSandM characterised it as indestructible as the skin slides over the dry core and protects it from cuts and tears. The skin is easy to replace. I have penetrated wrecks in it - so far, so good. Just don't get the fusion boots but rather the Evo3 or similar, which let you keep the air out of feet.

My wife tried both Fusion One and Ursuit. She said, she felt more comfortable and it was easier to control the bubble in the Fusion suit. As a European, you probably should have a look also at UK made OTTER suits - before they Brexit... :) Ending on a wishful note - if I had money, I would buy a Santi E-lite or E-motion... Regarding flights - 100$ for an extra suitcase do not make a lot of difference when you go to Mexico. Probably it will be cheaper than to buy an extra suit for flying.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all of your answers.

Bison Ravi, you are right, it might be better to buy a cheaper one for starting and "upgrade" in the future when I have a better idea about what I am going to do.
I just had the idea in mind to buy one single drysuite which I can use "forever".

I also have the issue that I cannot find any shop which offeres the KVR or the Tech and therefore I would have to order a drysuite which I am not able to even see once before.

It seems that the Fusion Tech is a quite good middle option.

The KVR1 is less flexible than the Fusion1, but very robust and would recommend this for cave diving. The KVR1 also has the newer breathable drycore.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom