Fusion Tech or Apeks KVR1 for Cave and Wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I have another issue, I planned to test a KVR and the Fusion Tech. However, the retailer does not want to order Fusion drysuites anymore because he complained that he had so many issues with the Fusion drysuites (mainly because they were leaking) and therefore he had to take them back quite often.

Do you know if Fusion is really that bad in quality? Especially the KVR? I dont think that he knows the KVR at all ... he was mainly talking about Fusion One i suppose.

Now I have another issue, I planned to test a KVR and the Fusion Tech. However, the retailer does not want to order Fusion drysuites anymore because he complained that he had so many issues with the Fusion drysuites (mainly because they were leaking) and therefore he had to take them back quite often.

Do you know if Fusion is really that bad in quality? Especially the KVR? I dont think that he knows the KVR at all ... he was mainly talking about Fusion One i suppose.

Many people who have tried Fusions for the first time think they had a leak , before they found out it just condensation build up inside the suit.
I have a Fusion Tech and I can see a lot condensation, especially if you use it in hotter days and sweat before entering the water. All that heating of your body will turn up as a condensation inside the suit.

I dont know if it is still an issue for the newest breathable drycore of KVR1, since I have an older Whites Fusion Tech with the normal drycore.

I like a lot my Fusion Tech and I highly recommend it. If you are afraid of the durrability just take another heavier skin, like the bullet for your penetration dives.

I bought two Fusions (Tech and One). One of them was delivered brand new and leaking. Thus, in my experience 50% are leaking. :) On the other hand, I have some 150 dives in my Fusion Tech, including wrecks and caves and it hasn't leaked yet.

I dive Whites Fusion Tech. The critical remarks - somewhat difficult to don and doff, The pocket flaps are difficult to feel through dry gloves. People usually stich some webbing or other harder material to them. The skin also does not dry so fast as true bi- or trilam suits. Otherwise Fusion Tech is a great suit. Flexible and easy for controlling trim and buoyancy (bubble control). TSandM characterised it as indestructible as the skin slides over the dry core and protects it from cuts and tears. The skin is easy to replace. I have penetrated wrecks in it - so far, so good. Just don't get the fusion boots but rather the Evo3 or similar, which let you keep the air out of feet.

My wife tried both Fusion One and Ursuit. She said, she felt more comfortable and it was easier to control the bubble in the Fusion suit. As a European, you probably should have a look also at UK made OTTER suits - before they Brexit... :) Ending on a wishful note - if I had money, I would buy a Santi E-lite or E-motion... Regarding flights - 100$ for an extra suitcase do not make a lot of difference when you go to Mexico. Probably it will be cheaper than to buy an extra suit for flying.

Agreed, i have the Fusion Tech and use for cave. Its a fine light budget suit, but takes ages to dry, ok above about 12 degrees without central heating, below that I would look at neoprene.dont worry about the sidepockets if you go sidemount for cave because they are pretty inaccessible anyway. You should look at SR Tech kevlar drysuits in Puidoux Switzerland close to Lake Geneva. Speak to Franz. They do top notch kevlar trilam and neoprene suits. Same price range as Otter but closer to you. I use a 7mm wetsuit for Mexico, works fine and easier for travel.

Thanks again for your answers! The condensation might be the explanation.

I was also thinking about SR Tech Kelvar but unfortunately we cannot get them in Austria neither.

Not so easy :wink:

But I will stick to Fusion. I like them a lot and I just hope that mine doesnt leak :wink:

Thanks!!

Thanks again for your answers! The condensation might be the explanation.

I was also thinking about SR Tech Kelvar but unfortunately we cannot get them in Austria neither.

Not so easy :wink:

But I will stick to Fusion. I like them a lot and I just hope that mine doesnt leak :wink:

Thanks!!

Even if you have a failure in future, Fusion suits are very easy to repair for yourself.
You can find a lot about Fusion repairs in this forum, or send a PM and I will gladly try to help.
You can add a pee valve by yourself too, I have done it after reading about it in this forum, and no leaks after installation :)

ok above about 12 degrees without central heating, below that I would look at neoprene.dont worry about the sidepockets if you go sidemount for cave because they are pretty inaccessible anyway.

I have dived ca. 45 minutes at +1*C in Fusion Tech + Thermal Fusion, and was OK. Could use heated gloves, though. I dive only sidemount and the pockets are accessible. Webbing on flaps do help.

Even if you have a failure in future, Fusion suits are very easy to repair for yourself.
You can find a lot about Fusion repairs in this forum, or send a PM and I will gladly try to help.
You can add a pee valve by yourself too, I have done it after reading about it in this forum, and no leaks after installation :)

Do you really repair a Fusion with a heatgun?

I have dived ca. 45 minutes at +1*C in Fusion Tech + Thermal Fusion, and was OK. Could use heated gloves, though. I dive only sidemount and the pockets are accessible. Webbing on flaps do help.
Tough guy ! Or maybe just younger, I have dived mines in N Europe in 6 deg but was pretty cold by the end of an hour with Xerotherms under Arctics in a Fusion. Yes you can access thigh pockets, but its more difficult, your tanks should be there. I find rear pouch is better for back up mask, light etc, reels on butt D ring.

Fusion's are loved or hated in this forum. Never for leaking, only for donning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom