Fusion Tech or Apeks KVR1 for Cave and Wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope the Apex valves have become more reliable, because they used to be a constant source of problems.

You can literally repair a fusion with matches or a lighter if you really have to. My sitech valves and dump are very reliable - and while donning it takes some practice it's not bad at all. The bag is insanely durable and the skin over top just adds to that. I haven't washed it in over 800 dives - it's dirty and rusty and smells weird but it just keeps on ticking. The zipper is weird and only available in YKK metal format - not tiezip but that's not really an. I have sitch rings and quick seal for both neck and wrists - I also have a sitech dryglove set that works very good. I've had the same seals this entire time - I have taken them out and put them back in every so often to check for tears - this process is quick.

I've killed 3 other drysuits including a santi ( $$$!!!! :( ) and this one is still alive - I've done repairs but it's just so easy to grab a patch and melt it on and come out with a bond that is equal to or more durable then it was before the tear.

I have dives using every skin in production. The Kevlar skin is heavy and should be reserved for wrecks or caves with a scooter - I mean it's really heavy..... the bullet is enough for wrecks and caves and any kind of other diving but forget about tropics and the drying time is extensive. The tech skin is a nice rec skin or for a dive where you don't risk getting stabbed by a sharp edge - and it has pockets! but they are kind of crappy - the bullet has the best pockets. The sport is for ultralightweight diving - it does not have pockets but you can get some shorts with pockets that would work - and at $150 a skin you could just sow some on there it's not like it's expensive if you break it. It really depends on what you are going to do.

If I were you I'd get the tech suit and then add the Kevlar or Bullet skin later if you end up needing them. It's a versatile system - you are not stuck with one skin.

However - there is the new aircore and I have heard amazing things. I have not used one but it is on my list of things to do. If it turns out that it is breathable and durable - I suggest going with whatever skin gets you the aircore and then buying one of the other 3 skins.

You can literally repair a fusion with matches or a lighter if you really have to. My sitech valves and dump are very reliable - and while donning it takes some practice it's not bad at all. The bag is insanely durable and the skin over top just adds to that. I haven't washed it in over 800 dives - it's dirty and rusty and smells weird but it just keeps on ticking. The zipper is weird and only available in YKK metal format - not tiezip but that's not really an. I have sitch rings and quick seal for both neck and wrists - I also have a sitech dryglove set that works very good. I've had the same seals this entire time - I have taken them out and put them back in every so often to check for tears - this process is quick.

I've killed 3 other drysuits including a santi ( $$$!!!! :( ) and this one is still alive - I've done repairs but it's just so easy to grab a patch and melt it on and come out with a bond that is equal to or more durable then it was before the tear.

I have dives using every skin in production. The Kevlar skin is heavy and should be reserved for wrecks or caves with a scooter - I mean it's really heavy..... the bullet is enough for wrecks and caves and any kind of other diving but forget about tropics and the drying time is extensive. The tech skin is a nice rec skin or for a dive where you don't risk getting stabbed by a sharp edge - and it has pockets! but they are kind of crappy - the bullet has the best pockets. The sport is for ultralightweight diving - it does not have pockets but you can get some shorts with pockets that would work - and at $150 a skin you could just sow some on there it's not like it's expensive if you break it. It really depends on what you are going to do.

If I were you I'd get the tech suit and then add the Kevlar or Bullet skin later if you end up needing them. It's a versatile system - you are not stuck with one skin.

However - there is the new aircore and I have heard amazing things. I have not used one but it is on my list of things to do. If it turns out that it is breathable and durable - I suggest going with whatever skin gets you the aircore and then buying one of the other 3 skins.
I have in my plans the upgrade of my current fusion tech to the Apeks KVR1 with Aircore too. Is it really so heavy that is unbearable without scouter?

I have in my plans the upgrade of my current fusion tech to the Apeks KVR1 with Aircore too. Is it really so heavy that is unbearable without scouter?

It's heavier then the bullet by a far bit and the bullet is about 10lbs or so. swimming you notice the drag from it. I mean it's doable without a scooter but for open water - why? when there are multiple skins and each is good at it's own thing. Just my thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom