G11 vs. G10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There must be something on this already, but nothing shows up in a search.

Does anybody have any advice for someone considering either the G10 or the G11; which one is better for diving? I think I understand the argument about more megapixels in the G10, but a better processing system in the G11, but I'm not sure how that translates to "better for diving". I know I'd probably never fold the display out, so the bigger one on the G10 would be better.

Anybody out there with hands-on experience with both cameras?

There must be something on this already, but nothing shows up in a search.

Does anybody have any advice for someone considering either the G10 or the G11; which one is better for diving? I think I understand the argument about more megapixels in the G10, but a better processing system in the G11, but I'm not sure how that translates to "better for diving". I know I'd probably never fold the display out, so the bigger one on the G10 would be better.

Anybody out there with hands-on experience with both cameras?

Was also looking for reviews or comments on canon G-11 but came up with nothing. Am a bit surprised given I have been told its a great underwater camera.

If you read the reviews on the 2 cameras, you will see that although the G11 has fewer megapixels, it was done with image improvement in mind, and having seen photo samples from both it was certainly accomplished. Remember all megapixels are NOT created equal. Sensor size, quality of pixels, and processing engine(s) all play a role. Particularly at higher ISO's, the G11 becomes a far superior image. I can tell you that the G11 creates a gorgeous 20x30 poster after cropping out about 1/3 of the image. :clapping:

There are no specific features that relate to underwater. Budget notwithstanding, I would highly recommend the G11 for reasons above, plus it's newer, better technology all around, and will be supported longer. If you flood it 2 years from now (hope not but things happen) or it craps out, a G11 will be much easier to find that G10 and you won't have to replace your housing as well.

Sorry, contrarian here. There is now more to go wrong (at least for UW work) with the G11 and its hinged back. Its a smaller screen inside the housing to view as well. Ask the guys/gals at Backscatter, there is no or little diff between the two and you get get the G10 cheaper right now. As for Canon not supporting the G10 or being able to find it years from now, well, you can say that about any camera. You can score deals on the G10 now. MTC

Where do you get the G10 cheaper than the G11? Used? New they seem to go for more than the G11 with the lowest I can find for the G10 around $470 and the G11 at around $440. On eBay the G10 used seems to be selling for almost as much as a new G11, so what's a warrantee worth to you?

As for which is better? Probably more a matter of taste than anything else. If you go look at many of the popular photo sharing sites and search for G10 and G11 you'll see equally amazing photos from each. So I doubt you'll see much difference in the end. I own the G11 and so far have been happy with it on above water usage but haven't been able to take it underwater yet, hopefully I'll do that soon. I've been very happy with the performance of it, and am especially happy with the macro performance, it's really a great little camera for the size and price.

Well. There ya go. Easy decesion then!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom