g250v mk25 whistling sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

batman diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey my g250v mk25 is making a whistling sound when i breath out of it , my octo aint so its the g250 , there is no change in the performance but was wondering about the sound... what u guys rate ? any ideas

Does the whistling sound occur underwater or just when breathing the reg topside?

Provided that the first stage is delivering i.p. within normal limits and the cracking pressure is good on the g250v, it could just be resonance of the diaphragm vibrating against the case. Try removing, cleaning, and replacing the diaphragm. Or just rotate and re-seat the diaphragm in a different orientation. That might take care of the whistling/vibration. If the whistling/vibration is caused by the exhaust valves, then I suppose you could clean the existing ones...or replace them altogether. Take a look at the diaphragm first, though.

its both on top and under ... sounds like a man on a ventilator .... hzzzz type noise , i think it is the diaphragm , so maybe ill try that , hmmmm......but to remove the front cover is rather hard .... do i just try turn it really hard

its both on top and under ... sounds like a man on a ventilator .... hzzzz type noise , i think it is the diaphragm , so maybe ill try that , hmmmm......but to remove the front cover is rather hard .... do i just try turn it really hard

No. There is a small plastic pin on the side of the reg between the hose and the cover. Use a knife blade to lift that pin out and the cover should turn quite easily.

Part # 39: http://www.scubaproregulatormuseum.org/G250V_DIA.jpg

To reinstall, tighten the cover not quite all the way and look for the holes to line up. re-insert the pin in lined up holes.

but to remove the front cover is rather hard .... do i just try turn it really hard
Let me preface this by saying that I've never worked on Scubapro regs...but certain Scubapro second stages are very similar to the ones that I own (Apeks).

The face cover should just unscrew after removing a housing pin, revealing the friction washer and diaphragm beneath. I believe that a brass pick or similar tool can be used to pop the pin out. Once that is done, there are special tools that will help with removal of the cover. In a pinch, a rubber glove can help give you enough traction to unscrew the cover. When re-assembling everything, you don't have to tighten down the cover ridiculously tight. Just screw it down so that it's secure. This will facilitate cover removal in the future.

Good luck.

Just to clarify, is the 1st stage whistling, or is it the 2nd stage? I believe you mean the 2nd stage.

yes its the 2nd , am just worried its a sign of a problem to come, ...will try the mentioned stuff

A honking second stage is normally just a diaphragm with some form of radial stress on it. When this happens it normally resolves by itself over time. It is a little unusual for it to occur underwater as well, but removing and reseating the diaphragm should fix it.

----

A whistling sound is usually a resonance that is caused by a vibrating first stage piston. That can occur if the piston stem o-ring is not properly lubricated - or it can be an indicator of the piston stem o-ring extruding into the gap between piston stem and body or bushings.

Back
Top Bottom