Gaiter Wraps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teckhead

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, like to know if Gaiter Wraps make any different to divng drysuits, how many divers have own these or have tryed using the Gaiters?

cheers.

teckhead:
Hi all, like to know if Gaiter Wraps make any different to divng drysuits, how many divers have own these or have tryed using the Gaiters?

cheers.

I tried them when I was just starting out with my drysuit. They are just a crutch. If you drysuit has too much room in the legs get it repaired/altered. A properly fitting suit shouldn't trap thet much gas in the legs to have to "require" gaiters.

Just my .02

I agree with Ben. When I first started diving my drysuit, I thought I might need them. I'm glad I didn't spend the money, it would have been a waste. If air gets trapped in drysuit boots, 3 things can be attributed:

1) ill-fitting suit
2) incorrect trim
3) too much air in the suit

Or...the most likely candidate, which is crappy drysuit boots. I had Bare vulcanized boots and had all sorts of trouble with trim and mostly just staying still. Gas gets trapped up there and tends to flip you over. I finally got them chopped off and put DUI turbo soles on and it's like a brand new suit and I'm a brand new diver. I can back kick (couldn't before), I can stay still (couldn't before) and I can maintain trim much more easily.

Derek S:
I agree with Ben. When I first started diving my drysuit, I thought I might need them. I'm glad I didn't spend the money, it would have been a waste. If air gets trapped in drysuit boots, 3 things can be attributed:

1) ill-fitting suit
2) incorrect trim
3) too much air in the suit

True. My OS Systems DS does have vulcanized "fisherman's" boots on it, but I haven't had too much issue with air getting trapped in them. I do plan on sending them to get turbosoles installed sometime soon, but in the meantime, they do work well.

Soggy:
Or...the most likely candidate, which is crappy drysuit boots. I had Bare vulcanized boots and had all sorts of trouble with trim and mostly just staying still. Gas gets trapped up there and tends to flip you over. I finally got them chopped off and put DUI turbo soles on and it's like a brand new suit and I'm a brand new diver. I can back kick (couldn't before), I can stay still (couldn't before) and I can maintain trim much more easily.

Soggy can't wait until Derek realizes that he never should have waited to get the fisherman boots cut off... :wink:

Derek S:
True. My OS Systems DS does have vulcanized "fisherman's" boots on it, but I haven't had too much issue with air getting trapped in them. I do plan on sending them to get turbosoles installed sometime soon, but in the meantime, they do work well.

I've seen some pretty respected divers using them ... I don't know much about them, but wouldn't discount them out of hand.

Mark

mweitz:
I've seen some pretty respected divers using them ... I don't know much about them, but wouldn't discount them out of hand.

ditto.

i've also heard numerous horror stories about sending drysuits in for alteration after alteration trying to get the perfect drysuit.

i just throw some gaiters on and its fine. saves me the downtime and hassle of having my drysuit cut.

if you do use them wear them low around the ankle so that air doesn't get past them and get trapped.

(note this is not a DIR answer, the DIR answer is 'no gaiters')

I found a pair cheap and couldn´t resist buying them...
Tried them out and liked them. Then my buddy had "trouble" so I lent them to her...ended up selling them to her and diving without them myself...don´t miss them...my buddy still uses them though...I think it may be a placebo but what do I know...

Soggy:
Soggy can't wait until Derek realizes that he never should have waited to get the fisherman boots cut off... :wink:

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom