Galapagos with GoPro - please HELP with the setup!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinglover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am very lucky to be going to Galapagos in few weeks, so i am getting very excited!

i just got a go pro hero 3 black for my trip, and i really need some help with the best setup for it - i really dont want to mess up any of my videos from Galapagos!!

i have read a lot of threads here, but am a little confused, because i am new to both, the Go Pro and to video processing etc. I have been using a simple Canon point and shoot in underwater mode, and internal flash, with no post-processing. But - i am very willing and ready to start doing something a little more complex for better quality.

So i have few questions, which i hope you can hep me with.

One thing i would like to highlight - i am fairly inexperienced diver, i have about 65 dives, and know that galapagos will be challenging. Because of that - i am looking for SIMPLE setup and shooting techniques. 'point and shoot' will be my approach.

So, here go the questions:
1. do i need to buy a filter for Galapagos diving conditions? i.e. low visibility, wide angle only, no macro. (if i do need to buy a filter - is the SRP Blurfix SO CYD dome filter the best option? is it easy to snap on and off as well?)

2. do i need to get lights for the galapagos? my understanding is that the lights are mainly used for macro and close up shots, (but i might be completely wrong!) Do you think i need them for Galapagos? (i have none at the moment). Ideally i would like to avoid anything bulky (based on my limited diving experience).

3. do i need a pole or tray? my understanding the diving involves a lot of hanging on to rocks and watching marine life - is it good enough for me to hold the gopro in my hand? If you do suggest a pole - any recommendations?

4. most importantly - which settings should i use for shooting video? based on what i read i am currently thinking 1080, 60 fps, cam raw, then correct in cineform. is that what you would suggest? i also saw people mention 30 fps and something about cropping and reducing resolution - i do not understand that. can someone explain (in simple terms lol)? I am also hoping to do screen grabs from my videos, so woudl like the quality to be good enough t be able to print and enlarge some of the screen grabs/photos

5. Regarding post processing - could someone give me a rough idea of what it involves? i have no concept of it, as i never corrected anything, but i am wiling to try (especially after seeing comparison done by Marty Cerven). Could someone give an indication of the workflow and approximate time it takes i.e. is it 1 hour per 1 our video or is it 10 hours per video?

6. i also read a lot about go pros locking up - i really cannot risk being stuck without a camera in galapagos! I also have an Olympus TG 2 camera (for land/snorkelling) - should i invest in underwater case for it and bring it as a back up? or even get a hero 3 silver as a backup?

Apologies for so many questions - but i really don't want to risk messing up my videos / photos from Galapagos! it's a once in a lifetime trip for me.

thank you in advance for the help!!

oh I envy your trip to Galapagos, believe me!

1. Yes you need a filter. The SRP blurfix SO is the best I believe. You can also consider backscatter flip-filter.

2. I would have invested in lights yes. For filming in dark spots, under rocks, under big fishes and so. Min. 2x sola 600 or better,( 60 deg. angle, no hotspot). The Archon W38VR is also an option, but it has much wider angle (120deg).

3. I would def. go for a tray. Either SRP, light & motion or likewise. And you need flex-arms for mounting your lights as well. A pole is great for filming on land, ipole, big U-shoot (telescopic) from XS-series or likewise is great. You can use one underwater also but the video will be more shaky than with a tray. Shaky videos are a pain to look at after a while. Thats one of the difference from photo, you don't have to consider stable filming on just taking photo. Gopro is a videocamera, whith option taking stills. But there are much better stillcameras around......... Using the headstrap i wouldn't even consider at all....way too shaky and you may lose your camera.

4. Settings: 1080@60 fps or 2700@30. Note! On 60 fps the files are getting LARGE and you need a good computer to handle them. Cam raw is the best choice to adjust in post. But you can experiment some.
If you flim in 2700 you can in cineform convert mp4 to avi and zoom if you like. Hard to explain easier other than in the software.
I will strongly recommend you to film shots/clips from, say 20 sec. to 2-3 min._ NOT_ the whole dive. Much easier to edit in post and the battery will last longer.

5. postprocessing: you can upload to cineform, convert to avi and adjust colors, trim clips and so on. For adding music and joining clips/pictures you will need another software like win live moviemaker(PC) or iMovie (MAC)
You can also invest in more advanced sw like Sony Vegas ( cheap and good) but it will take some time to learn it perfectly. If you haven't used videoeditors before, make sure it will take some time.
But it depends on your needs and expectations of the results. In start you will be satisfied on only putting things togheter, but to make a smooth edit, and also with appropriate music be prepared it will take quite a time but shorter when you know the drill of course.

6.About lockups: Its a good choice to have a backup on such a trip. Be sure to run all firmware updates, do not switch off the camera under water, power on before entering the water ( only stop record button), and buy one or 2 extra batteries to switch between dives.

I dont know if you have bought the LCD screen, but you could consider it to frame your shots. But it is not so neccesary when filming wideangle with a tray if you have control of where you point your camera all the time it is recording. And the LCD also eats more battery.

Have a nice trip!

regards Aarstein

I had an amazing time diving the Galapagos. Can't help but notice you mentioned you are fairly inexperienced. Galapagos is not easy diving. Water is cold, visibility is not great, currents can be strong. I recommend staying close to your dive buddy or the dive master. Discuss prior to the dive if you will or will not pursue getting close to the animal life.

If a whaleshark is spotted, you will have to kick a lot to get close. Getting close to the eagle rays and hammerheads can involve venturing out onto a rock point in the current. I was always within visual site of others, but many times I definitely was not close to anyone. I am experienced and comfortable diving this way and shooting UW video. For your experience level, stay with your buddy and have an agreement beforehand what you will do when/if a whaleshark suddenly gets spotted.

Click the link in my signature to go to my video page where I have my Galapagos videos. They were shot with a high level consumer camcorder, but I do have experience with the GoPro Hero 3 and offer my recommendations:

1) Yes, you need a filter. SRP will work great. If you don't use lights, a cheap drop in filter works great too.

2) Skip lights for Galapagos. You will be shooting wide angle and lights/arms will be a burden in the current.

3) Yes, get a tray. A pole will be tough in the current.

4) 1080p, 60fps, ultra wide, protune on, cam raw white balance

5) Post processing. Boost contrast a little, adjust brightness next. How long it takes to create a video ? Depends on your skill and how good you want the video to come out.

6) Never had a problem with locking up.

Many thanks to Ronscuba for the clear and concise advice, especailly re the settings and post processing!

I too will be taking the gopro for its first dives in a couple of weeks (in the admittedly easier waters around Komodo) and do not want to mess up!

Thanks also to divinglover for starting the thread

Rene

Many thanks to Ronscuba for the clear and concise advice, especailly re the settings and post processing!

I too will be taking the gopro for its first dives in a couple of weeks (in the admittedly easier waters around Komodo) and do not want to mess up!

Thanks also to divinglover for starting the thread

Rene

Komodo can have forceful currents stronger or similar to Galapagos better be prepared!

Thank you everyone for your help!!! i have now ordered the SRP filter and tray - hope they arrive in UK in time for my trip.
I will also most likely wait on the lights for now - both from budget perspective, and due to my limited experience. I think i will need all my concentration on diving and having lights/arms might be too distracting for me in Galapagos. But i will definitely be getting light for my next (less challenging) dive trip.

In the meantime, i am planning to practice shooting videos in protune and doing some basic editing in Cineform over the next few days, to ensure i have an idea of how i will be correcting my videos post trip.

once again - thank you, particularly to Aarstein and ronscuba - your replies have been extremely helpful!!

Back
Top Bottom