Galaxy Diving (using glow stick material in water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is a Galaxy Dive?!?

Do you mean the chem light craziness, like in this video..

They seem expensive and, quite potentially, wasteful of resources... not to mention questions I have about unnecessary pollution..

Chem lights are relatively cheap. However, I do wonder if non-toxic for humans is equivalent to non-toxic for aquatic life.

Chem lights are relatively cheap. However, I do wonder if non-toxic for humans is equivalent to non-toxic for aquatic life.

While I have never done a Galaxy Dive myself, I too question if pollutants should be introduced into the natural springs.
While the glow sticks are non-toxic to humans I'm sure not much is known about how the rest of the environment is affected by it.

I would not release any kind of chemicals into the water, especially in a semi closed environment like a cave. If this stuff effects something at the bottom of the food chain in there it could greatly reduce the rest of the sea life in that cave.

The first time I went to the springs as a newer diver the instructor did this in the ballroom at Ginnie. Looked cool for a few seconds. Then just stupid and I also have questioned ever since the effect the chemicals may have had. At this point I'd object if someone wanted to do it on a dive I was on and make it clear that it's a dumb idea.

So much for "take only memories and leave only bubbles." I wonder if those divers who do this are willing to dump that stuff into their own drinking water.

So much for "take only memories and leave only bubbles." I wonder if those divers who do this are willing to dump that stuff into their own drinking water.
Especially when one of the springs in question is the primary source of bottled spring water for a major distributor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom