Galileo G-2 Algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello Scubapro or Scubapr dealers,

I currently own a Sol and this new model really looks great!

I have a question about the algorithm which is critically important for my decision as to whether to upgrade.

I am very happy with the Sol ZHL-8 and the times it gives me on repetitive dives.

I had thought about upgrading to the "trimix" ZHL-16 algorithm, but was told it was significantly more conservative for recreational repetitive diving and so did not upgrade it.

The G-2 material indicates that it is running a ZHL-16 algorithm and includes trimix.

How does this algorithm compare to the trimix algorithm for the Sol? Is it the same more conservative algorithm? If so, that is a key factor for me not to upgrade.

Thanks for any insight!

Yes Burhan, I agree.

I wonder why? I am not asking for anything proprietary, only for comparison between the old and new implementations.

No upgrade for me until I know this information.

Many manufacturers on this SB aren't interested in participating anymore. They don't like the hostility and the general attitudes here. They have been driven away by some people who take every opportunity to attack mainstream vendors, LDS, etc.

NOTE: SP did NOT tell me anything to this effect, this is a general statement made by some manufacturer reps. to me over the last couple of years.

If the manufacturer is not going to respond to the forum they should be removed from Scubaboard.

And lose all of the history???

We will be diving both the Sol & the new G2 in Cocos Island & the Orsikany in July. It will a good test to see the difference. I will report back.

I have done a little research and hope this helps a little.

I do not believe the G-2 decompression software is the same as what was used for the trimix upgrade in the SOL.

The SOL used ZHL-16 ADT DD: it was a 16-compartment adaptive model used by Uwatec for their trimix. it was modified in the middle compartments from the original ZHL-C, and was adaptive to diver workload to include Profile-Determined Intermediate Stops.

The G-2 uses (ZHL-16 ADT MB PMB) which is similar to the algorithm of the SOL (ZHL-8 ADT MB PMB) with the exception it uses 16 tissue groups verses the 8 of the SOL.

Several versions of the Bühlmann algorithm have been developed, both by Bühlmann and by later workers. The naming convention used to identify the algorithms is a code starting ZH-L, from Zürich (ZH), limits (L) followed by the number of tissue compartments, and other unique identifiers

ADT= an adaptive model may reduce the no-stop limit or require the diver to complete a compensatory decompression stop after an ascent rate violation, high work level during the dive, or low water temperature. This algorithm is used in computers which can accurately monitor air consumption and instantaneous rate of air consumption to model work load (exertion) via changes in the rate of gas consumption, which allows plausible modelling of additional decompression obligation based on exertion at depth. It also monitors ambient temperature and selects the choice of risk tissue accordingly. This generally results in earlier and longer decompression

MB= an adaptive model version of the ZHL-8 or ZLH-16 claimed to suppress microbubble formation

PMG= Predictive Multi Gas, refers to the algorithm capable of including different gas mixes in its decompression calculations

Thank you Dean and Casey. THAT is very good information.

Dean, your description gives me hope that this algorithm will behave very similarly to my Sol.

Casey, your real-world trip will answer those questions for sure.

If what I hope is true, then there might be a Christmas present in my future . . . .

My Sol is still going strong, though. Will probably keep it as a back-up especially if the algorithm tracks with the G2.

Burhan, I too see the hostility towards certain manufacturers (usually, the big boys like AL and Scubapro) and it would be unfortunate if they did not participate because of that, because, as the reaction to the G2 shows, there are many people who really like Scubapro gear (count me among them).

And, maybe I was too demanding to expect a response in a day or so.

But, the dealers/users have stepped up, which is great.

Christmas present in my future

You don't have to wait for Christmas, you can celebrate the Eid Muslim holiday in a couple of weeks and get your presents early enough for summer diving :)

My Sol is still going strong, though. Will probably keep it as a back-up especially if the algorithm tracks with the G2.

That will be a great plans especially if they both can work from the same transmitter.

(usually, the big boys like AL and Scubapro)

It certainly appears that they are long gone now.

there are many people who really like Scubapro gear (count me among them).
I like and respect SP a great deal myself. I can't say that everything they do is great but the greater majority of what they do is excellent and sometimes is even more than excellent.

I was too demanding to expect a response in a day or so.

I don't think that it matters, it appears that the big names here are gone and won't be back unfortunately.

the dealers/users have stepped up, which is great.

I am glad that they do and I hope that they don't get chased off the SB as the mfg. have been.

Back
Top Bottom