Galileo Luna question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soltari675

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought of this while reading another thread elsewhere. PADI recommends that when diving in cold water, you add 10ft to your max depth for calculations. I own a Galileo Luna. When it calculates nitrogen loading and desat time, does it also take this rule into consideration?

Way back in the day when I started diving, everyone dove US Navy tables or derivatives and as such had to accommodate limited safety margin built into them. As a result divers:

1) Avoided square profiles,
2) Used the next deepest depth, or
3) the next greatest time and
4) on a hard working or cold water dive, used the next deepest depth and next longest time.

With the use of doppler ultra sound, the recreational versions of the US Navy tables got shorter "doppler" no decompression limits.

With computers things changed and multilevel diving and continuous real time calculations became the norm and that changed the need for next deepest/longest depths and times.

Some computers take into account water temperature but that's pretty pointless as it has no way of knowing whether a diver is in a 3mm shorty or a drysuit with really heavy undergarments, so without some sort of anal probe (never a great seller) it will not know if you are cold or not.

Some computers, like the Sol also consider heart rate, and breathing rate based on the assumption that this will increase on-gassing. Frankly, I'm not a real believer and I prefer to be the decision maker when it comes to adding more decompression time. One selling point for the Luna is that it has less crap on it than the Sol.

The Luna does let you set the conservatism of the bubble model it uses and it will add some time for rapid ascents, but in general don't worry about shortening the NDLs in cold water as if you stay within the limits of the computer and do a reasonable safety stop you should be fine.

Makes sense. Thanks :) I love my Luna, I was just curious.

Hi Soltari675,

Thank you for choosing SCUBAPRO! Yes, the adaptive Algorithm in all current SCUBAPRO computers become more conservative in colder water.

Happy Diving!
KateSCUBAPRO

Makes sense. Thanks :) I love my Luna, I was just curious.
I like it too as it has a superb compass feature, a great bookmark capability and the ability to access stick maps during a dive, and as noted above, I like the absence of the additional gee whiz features found on the Sol which don't really fit my kind of diving.

Back
Top Bottom