Garmin Descent vs. Suunto Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I joined the Garmin Connect ScubaBoard group. I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and will get the IQ Dive app when things warm up here in NE Ohio.

Do you have another dive computer? It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison between the Vivoactive 3 and the dive computer, especially for the depth accuracy. It is my understanding that none of the Garmin activity watches (other than the Descent MK1) have a depth sensor and so would be relying on the altitude sensor to measure depth.

@marshallkarp

As far as I know, all Garmin watches are compliant to IPX standard, only Garmin Descent MK1 is compliant to EN13319 standard which, in opposed to the IPX standard, allows the use of all functions (especially the push of buttons) even deep underwater.

That's why I'm sure that only the Descent MK1 buttons are designed in such a way that when pressing even at high depths, water does not drop into the interior of the watch.

I also found that depth meter on my Fenix 3, which (except for a bit of delay in tracking depth) worked fine, identicali to my Suunto D4, but pressing the buttons (except on the surface) would be pure nonsense, because if you look at this fēnix® 3 HR: A Non-Destructive Teardown – Personal Notes on the Garmin® fēnix® 3 HR – Medium you will find that the buttons can not be waterproof to 100 meters deep. I am absolutely sure that this is the case with all other Garmin handheld instruments with the only exception, Garmin Descent MK1.

Last edited:
Is is possible to plan a dive with the Garmin Connect IQ app, or is that only possible on the Descent?

What I wonder is if the differences between the 4 Garmin Watches:
"Fenix 5x" and "Descent" and "Tactix Charlie" and "Fenix 3 HR"
are purely marketing related in regards IPX standard, or EN13319, all 4 watches state 10ATM.

Therefore in theory dives at 30m to 40m should be good enough for me for recreational: scuba diving and freediving between 20m to 40m... + considering SAPPHIRE Glass as a must ...

On the Vivoactive it states 5ATM, I guess you should avoid pressing buttons under water anyhow
Buttons watertightness - Garmin Forums

One more Note from DIVEIQ site: "Fequently Asked Questions
Installation Instructions | Garmin IQ Dive Computer
How deep can I dive with my watch ?
Through testing, experience and user feedback, we know that Garmin watches that are rated for 10 ATM can withstand recreational scuba diving depths without issues. We have tested watches rated for 10 ATM such as Fenix 3/HR and Fenix 5/5S/5X models up to 140 feet without any issues. We have so far never received a user report about a watch flooding. For watches rated to 5 ATM we recommend that you exercise caution. Note however do we do not assume any responsibility for damages to your watch. By purchasing, downloading or using our apps you agree and understand that in no event will DiveIQ or any of its representatives will be held liable for any damages to your watch.

Why is the dive data not being displayed on Garmin Connect?
The Garmin Connect Mobile app has a bug. It has problems displaying custom app data, so the dive data won't be visible on the app. However, the Garmin Connect website shows all the dive data. The Garmin Connect website has a very good mobile interface. You can use the browser on your phone to view your dives."

I guess the question, is it worth taking the risk for the value of one of them: MK1 or Fenix5,3 or Tactix Charlie

lets find out :)

I just finished a dive trip in Cozumel with my new Garmin Descent. We only did 11 dives but I was VERY impressed with the Garmin computer.

I dove with both my Suunto D6i (with Air integration) and my Descent MK1.

I tried changing the conversation settings in the Garmin and wound up keeping it on Medium.

I noticed that NDL would very considerably between the Garmin and the D6i but they do use different algorithms so some variance would be expected. I didn't exceed NDL for either computer on this trip but got down into less than 10 minutes on both at different times.

The Garmin needs air integration, that happens and I no longer need the D6i.

Features that were really nice on the Garmin..

1) Absolutely LOVE the vibrating alerts. This is a awesome feature underwater vs beeps and tones that I can't hear.
2) GPS entry and exit points recorded for all dives. Pretty cool on drift dives. plus it logs the location of every dive
3) Screen very easy to read underwater.
4) Heart Rate tracking even worked through a rash guard sleeve.
5) Compass was very easy to access and showed depth/time/NDL on compass screen as well
6) Alerts are very well defined with full text messages on the screen (no crappy icons to watch). The watch would basically say "Accent Rate too high, please slow accent"

Minor Annoyances on Garmin
1) I had it give me an alert about approaching NDL a couple times when NDL was 30-40+ minutes. Not sure why it alerted at those times.
2) I originally had the double tap to scroll feature on. this was too sensitive and kept changing screens so I shut it off
3) Safety stop would start once you hit 15ft on accent. however, if you went below 20ft, it would stop and not restart until you went back to 15ft. Whereas my Suunto starts above 20ft and if you dip below, it goes out of stop mode but immediately restarts once you go back above 20ft. Garmin needs to just continue the countdown vs requiring you to go back to 15ft.

Overall.. EXTREMELY impressed. Garmin reset the baseline for Dive Computers.
Rechargeable (no batteries)
GPS
Heart Rate
Smart Watch/Phone integration
Automatically uploads activity when in range of phone
Great Screen
Detailed logging in Garmin Connect App

fullsizeoutput_c6f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_c6e.jpeg

6) Alerts are very well defined with full text messages on the screen (no crappy icons to watch). The watch would basically say "Accent Rate too high, please slow accent"

Irrespective of the warning message, what does it do to let you see what your ascent rate actually is as you're going up?

The Garmin needs air integration, that happens and I no longer need the D6i.
I agree but I suspect it won't happen in the Descent MK1. I believe hardware is required that probably isn't in the current crop of watches. Perhaps the MK2 will have AI.

Back
Top Bottom