Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhyno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Garmin posted this video on facebook a few days ago. The date interestingly coincides with the start of DEMA. Any thoughts on what this could be?

I refuse to use Facebook. What does it say?

It's a 9 second teaser animation of a diver with text: "The descent begins 10.31.17".
The title includes #garmin #descent. Presumably the product name will be 'Descent"

GPS integration would certainly be nice. It would save me the extra step of looking up lat/long based on site names.

Why would Garmin want to enter such a niche market as dive computers? I suppose the product could simply be a GPS receiver (for surface use) that can survive diving depths. But then, they might as well add a dive computer to it. This should be interesting.

Imagine if they have been secretly working on the problem of underwater inertial navigation and developed a commercial product. Now THAT would be cool. I am the king of low-tech, but even I would bite at that.

I'm wondering if it's as simple as an expansion of the Garmin action camera lineup with a waterproof model.

I'm wondering if it's as simple as an expansion of the Garmin action camera lineup with a waterproof model.

Isn't their camera (or at least a housing) rated for dive use? I'm pretty sure I've seen dive video recorded on one.

Why would Garmin want to enter such a niche market as dive computers?

To sell chipsets & software. Economies of scale are critical in a business like theirs because significant costs are up-front in semiconductor and software engineering. Selling chipsets "could" relieve them of two of their next most expensive operating costs, marketing and tech support. The actual cost of producing chips is comparatively minor so additional sales would effectively carry very high profit margins.

Hint to dive computer manufacturers:
GPS would motivate me to upgrade my computer... too subtle?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom