Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been waiting for this type of Dive Computer for a long time.
To me it's strange that this is not something Soonto implemented a long time ago. They play a key part in both multisport watches and dive computers.
For me this is a game changer.

Reactions: mdb
There is. My example shows the market prices a basic dive computer with ability to export dive information at $300, the exact price difference between Fenix 5X and Mk1 -- two Garmin models different only by a presence of dive computer feature in the latter.

I know, I'm trying to find the revolution here.

Brandishing the upload cable is misleading at best as every dive computer that needs charging cable has one included in the package. So it's a bit like saying my PC here comes with free power cord -- well duh. The fact that it can also transfer data is incidental.

On the basic rec side, Mares pucks with upload interface are much closer to $200 that to $300 you quoted. On the expensive side, Ratio has most of this stuff -- they don't have GPS and colour screen on their watch models, but their base model is almost 30% less, enough to buy an AI transmitter. Both Ratio and Shearwater devices are programmed for divers and come with air integration in about the same price bracket.

So I get it, this is great news for people who buy Garmin watches and also dive. But where's the revolting masses at, tovarisch?

Last edited:
Hmmm-I'm not sure how easily these buttons would accessible if you're using thick gloves. Personally I'm not a fan of these wrist style dive watches as the displays are usually way too small and buttons can get easily get messed up if not rinsed properly.

Also, anyone know what dive algorithm this unit uses?

I know, I'm trying to find the revolution here. Brandishing the upload cable is misleading at best as every dive computer that needs charging cable has one included in the package.
Well, let's focus on basic dive computers Mk1 is being compared to, shall we? On a basic dive computer side, the likes of Leonardo don't require a charging cable but if you want to export your data, a PC interface cradle will set you back by $99. With Mk1 and other dive computers with charging batteries, the included charging cable may be a data transfer cable, but a) this doesn't have to be: there are plenty of sports watches, for example, that draw power from USB but do not transfer data via it and b) with Mk1 at least, you always have Bluetooth to move your data via smartphone. In theory, you can charge Mk1 before going on vacation and spend a week diving and uploading your dives via Garmin Connect. I think that's pretty cool... No cables, no cradles, no multiple devices to haul around.

So I get it, this is great news for people who buy Garmin watches and also dive.
Good we agree on that point!

But where's the revolting masses at, tovarisch?
That remains to be seen, compadre! Paraphrasing somebody who didn't need a BCD to walk on water once said: "If Garmin builds it, they will come"

All I was saying: the price is high -- and I actually mused how Garmin managed to desensitize people for paying exorbitant prices for athletic watches and upgrading every few years -- but Mk1 will sell. Because for every person willing to shell hundreds of dollars for air integration, there will be at least one person who likes convenience of having a single watch for all athletic pursuits. Or seamless sync and Garmin Connect integration. Or surface GPS. Or maps and navigation. Or size.
I'm one who doesn't care about air integration (maybe because I don't breath much anyway.) But I would love all the other stuff in one unit, and something like this could tempt me from my longstanding cheap dive computer habit - especially if they do a good job of all the software.

Unfortunately I'm unlikely to want to wear something that big all the time (same reason I stick with the smaller fitbits.) And if they could make it small enough that I'd want to wear it, I probably wouldn't be able to read it.

Well, let's focus on basic dive computers Mk1 is being compared to, shall we? On a basic dive computer side, the likes of Leonardo don't require a charging cable but if you want to export your data, a PC interface cradle will set you back by $99.

$70 actually but the point is your Leonardo will work without it for a couple of years. Mk1 will only work without one for a couple of weeks, if it ships from the factory fully charged.

Where it has BT, Leonardo has an IR eye. Just like your cellphone has a BT chip, a Palm Pilot has IR tranceiver that you can aim the Leonardo at and beam your logs all the way into the 90's. Twenty years from now this BT stuff will be just as dead and we'll need at least a Laser 7 output (google for it) to connect to anything.

It has arrived: Descent™ Mk1 | Garmin

Surface GPS is included. In fact it is basically their Fenix 5 sport watch, so will also work for running, swimming, cycling etc and will function as a smartwatch. In terms of diving, it's running Bühlmann ZHL-16c.

I'm interested, as someone who needs to replace an ageing Garmin sports watch for triathlon, so looks like I could get one watch that will do everything.

ETA: here's a hand-on review from a sports tech blogger. He's the best when it comes to running/cycling watches, so good to know he dives too! Hands-on: Garmin’s New Descent MK1 Diving Watch

This right here. I am needing to replace my 910XT for something I can wear everyday. I was looking at the 5X, then I saw the Descent. Of course the perfect storm was the **** show interface of the Oceanic dive app which looks like they hired the lead architect from the Windows 3.1 team. Imagine, fitness tracker, everyday watch, tri capable, HRM, and dive watch???? I am holding for the Descent. A little disruption will be a great thing for all competitors.

I got to look at and play around with a Garmin Descent today. Its very nice! It seems like a viable option as a full tri-mix computer, or back up..

Here's a few questions I got answered..

Up to 5 gases. Full Nitrox / Trimix on each.
It can go hypoxic
depth rated to 100m
charges through the USB cradle
has tap functionality
heart rate monitor works underwater, and can sync to external sensor if you want to use it w a drysuit

Also, anyone know what dive algorithm this unit uses?

I was told it uses the Buhlmann GF algorithm with GF.. And that I could make it match up with my shearwater..

If Garmin is going to charge $1000 for the Mk1, what would they charge for an AI version with a transmitter? I don't need or want all the exercise BS, perhaps they will offer a more dedicated dive computer. The GPS is OK with me, I would love to know how far I traveled on some of my drift dives in SE Florida.

I got to look at and play around with a Garmin Descent today. Its very nice! It seems like a viable option as a full tri-mix computer, or back up..

Here's a few questions I got answered..

Up to 5 gases. Full Nitrox / Trimix on each.
It can go hypoxic
depth rated to 100m
charges through the USB cradle
has tap functionality
heart rate monitor works underwater, and can sync to external sensor if you want to use it w a drysuit

I was told it uses the Buhlmann GF algorithm with GF.. And that I could make it match up with my shearwater..

Nice post Caveeagle.

Good update for those of us who are not in Orlando.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom