Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$70 actually but the point is your Leonardo will work without it for a couple of years.
I bought it for $99 and it is still priced as $99 at Amazon, and anywhere else from $75 to $115. Also, a big point of a dive computer personally for me is ability to get information off it, so I can keep a detailed electronic log of my dives synchronized between devices. So, data cable isn't something I'd be waiting for a few years until the dive computer starts wiping out old dives.

Where it has BT, Leonardo has an IR eye. Just like your cellphone has a BT chip, a Palm Pilot has IR tranceiver that you can aim the Leonardo at and beam your logs all the way into the 90's.
Thank you, Captain! :)I happen to be old enough to remember when IR was considered a cool wireless technology. Here's the problem: that time had passed about 15-20 years ago. I'm less concerned with what's been in the days of yore or what's gonna happen in 15-20 years from now. What I do care about is what technology I can use today and will perhaps be using in the next 3-5 years. Beyond that, nobody can really say.

If Garmin is going to charge $1000 for the Mk1, what would they charge for an AI version with a transmitter? I don't need or want all the exercise BS, perhaps they will offer a more dedicated dive computer. The GPS is OK with me, I would love to know how far I traveled on some of my drift dives in SE Florida.

$1500? or in other words about what ScubaPro charges for the G2...

$1500? or in other words about what ScubaPro charges for the G2...

Talking of which... I saw the new SP G2 AI console today. Sweet looking computer.

Reactions: mdb
I was told it uses the Buhlmann GF algorithm with GF.. And that I could make it match up with my shearwater..

Ok but on the Petrel if you're using a custom GF setting wouldn't that conflict with this Garmin unit?

Ok but on the Petrel if you're using a custom GF setting wouldn't that conflict with this Garmin unit?

The Descent web page says you can use custom GF settings. So, you should be able to set a Descent and a Shearwater to the same GF and then they should give the same results for NDL and ascent schedule.

The Descent web page says you can use custom GF settings. So, you should be able to set a Descent and a Shearwater to the same GF and then they should give the same results for NDL and ascent schedule.

Ok thanks! Not a tech diver by any means so I'll just set my Petrel to default low/med conservative GF settings. For $1k though I might as well get a 2nd Petrel/Perdix though.

The Ratio ix3m has this type of GPS functionality and can be had for $1k. Amazon.com : Ratio ix3M GPS Deep Dive Computer : Sports & Outdoors

I'd call this Garmin offering "just another dive computer" that doesn't bring anything new. Not that I hate the Garmin, but given that there are existing computers on the market that offer all the features of the Garmin for less money.. it seems like a hard sell in my mind.

I guess what Garmin has that Ratio does not is a large brick and mortar dealer network in the USA.

The Ratio ix3m has this type of GPS functionality and can be had for $1k. Amazon.com : Ratio ix3M GPS Deep Dive Computer : Sports & Outdoors

I'd call this Garmin offering "just another dive computer" that doesn't bring anything new. Not that I hate the Garmin, but given that there are existing computers on the market that offer all the features of the Garmin for less money.. it seems like a hard sell in my mind.

I guess what Garmin has that Ratio does not is a large brick and mortar dealer network in the USA.

The form factor is worth something. It's the reason I bought a Seabear H3 and then sold the Petrel 2 that I had.

No way you'd wear an iX3M to work (in an office setting). ;-)

If my H3 died, and if the Descent gets an AI upgrade (i.e. Mk2), and if the Descent actually works well for deco diving, I would definitely consider one as a backup to my Perdix AI. I much prefer the smaller watch-sized form factor over the big, thick Perdix form factor. My H3 is watch-sized and it is just as readable as my Perdix. It doesn't show quite as many pieces of data, but it does show all the ones I want.

The form factor is worth something. It's the reason I bought a Seabear H3 and then sold the Petrel 2 that I had.

No way you'd wear an iX3M to work (in an office setting). ;-)

If my H3 died, and if the Descent gets an AI upgrade (i.e. Mk2), and if the Descent actually works well for deco diving, I would definitely consider one as a backup to my Perdix AI. I much prefer the smaller watch-sized form factor over the big, thick Perdix form factor. My H3 is watch-sized and it is just as readable as my Perdix. It doesn't show quite as many pieces of data, but it does show all the ones I want.
I guess I didn't consider that since I don't like wearing watches of any kind. If I could get a dive computer with a tablet sized screen I'd be on it like stink on.. stinky stuff.

I'm with kelemvor on this one. Garmin definitely has some awesome products but for this money I would rather invest in a brand that has long history with diving technology and experience. If my LDS has this unit for testing I would definitely try it out but there's no way in hell I would shell out a 1k on a gen 1 dive computer.

Back
Top Bottom