Gauge Reading Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruiser24

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Am currently diving using my contact lens as I am shortsighted.

However, age is catching up on me and I need the magnifiers to read my gauges. Hence I am considering getting one of those gauge reading masks with the magnifiers at the bottom of the lens.

Question - Can I still wear my contact lens for seeing in the far and yet wear these gauge reading masks to read in the near?

Does anyone have any other alternative solution to share?

Many thanks.

I have a guage-reader mask from SeaVision, but started using it post-Lasik, so never thought about combining the two corrections. I can tell you that post-post Lasik (now that I am having to wear full set of glasses again), the guage reader is a God Send. My wife dives with a full correction SeaVision, and I'm assuming that's my next step. Might be something for you to consider, that being leaving the contacts at home, and going with a full correction mask.

I have a bifocal mask. Look ahead for looking ahead. Look down for reading gauges.

Advantage is if I ever lost or broke my glasses I could drive home with my mask on. :cool2:

Hi Jim & Steve, many thanks for sharing.

Yes, the other alternative would be to go full correction mask... hmmm

I use the monocular method. Remove the contact lens from my non-dominant eye for reading guages and seeing things up close. I keep the lens in my dominant eye for distance. Sounds hokey but I received the advice from my optician. It works!

I use the monocular method. Remove the contact lens from my non-dominant eye for reading guages and seeing things up close. I keep the lens in my dominant eye for distance. Sounds hokey but I received the advice from my optician. It works!

My optician suggested that too but I thot it was kinda weird.

For the lens in your dominant eye, do you have the magnifiers as well or you only have the magnifiers on one side?

Back
Top Bottom