G'day from down under !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gary10

New
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Got advised to check out this site from the lonley planet site, Anywho im a complete novice infact have NEVER dived, but have wanted to for quite a while. Im off to hawaii for 2 weeks then back to the UK for a while b4 heading to asia. So i wanted to do a course which is recognised throughout the world (which i now know is the PADI). I was wondering if anyone has learned to dive in hawaii, is that a good place to learn. The course is 2 and a ahlf days long, and apparently that gets me PADI certifed, and costs $500 usd does this sound about right.... Any info would be great cheers everyone.........Regards Gaz

Hi Gary!

Welcome to SB! I can't help you on the pricing for the course. What a number of people do is complete the classroom and pool sessions at home and then do their open water check-out dives while in warmer waters. Is that perhaps what you're referring to?

Diverlady

Welcome to the Scubaboard Gaz.

Yeah, I learned to dive in Hawaii with a NAUI operator, and have never had a problem having it recognized in the taveling that I have done since. The course took 6 weeks of Saturday mornings, and cost $50.00.... Of course that was 27 years ago, so they may be a 'little' more expensive now!!!!

gary10:
Hello Everyone
Got advised to check out this site from the lonley planet site, Anywho im a complete novice infact have NEVER dived, but have wanted to for quite a while. Im off to hawaii for 2 weeks then back to the UK for a while b4 heading to asia. So i wanted to do a course which is recognised throughout the world (which i now know is the PADI). I was wondering if anyone has learned to dive in hawaii, is that a good place to learn. The course is 2 and a ahlf days long, and apparently that gets me PADI certifed, and costs $500 usd does this sound about right.... Any info would be great cheers everyone.........Regards Gaz

Hello Diver lady.
Unfortunatly i dont have the time to do the course theory at home as im in aus now and going to the uk for via the states (hence ???learning to dive in hawaii) so cause im only there for 2 weeks it will need to be done in a very short time. However if i get the course as soon as i get there then i can book to do some moredives and gain experiece before coming back to the cold waters of the uk. So that by the time im in asia i should have enough experience to do some of the better dives anywho !! Well thats my theory ???? how effective it is ?
People on these sitea are great but i think im getting to much info some for and some against learning in hawaii as the chap says on my page he learnt there and has not had a problem ...... Cheers, and thankyou for the warm welcome..... Regards Gary

Well Gaz, you're in the right place. Welcome to SB!

I think you'll find a lot of valuable information about all of the certifying agencies in the various threads here on ScubaBoard.

I'm certified through NAUI and Los Angeles County. I usually show my NAUI card when travelling.

I hope you love diving as much as most of us here do!

Someday, I hope to dive in the land of Oz.

Cheers.

Christian

Howdy Gaz!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

Lots of information; keep reading different fourms, etc...

don

BTW - it would really help if you'd fill out your Profile - so we can respect your training and experiences, or be courteous if you're a newbie?!

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom