Gear Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imprint

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm a beginner diver with only 20 dives under my belt.

I'm currently looking at getting my own gear.

Some background:

I live in Australia and do all of my diving on vacation, I don't have any interest in diving here in Sydney as the water is too cold, I'm into diving in warmer tropical waters. This is how I plan on spending my entire diving lifespan.

I'm off to Fiji in march for 7 days of diving and I'm looking at purchasing my own gear as the rental stuff either doesn't fit me properly or isn't that great in terms of quality, for example the mouth piece on the reg on my GBR live aboard turned my gums to a giant ulcer.

I'm looking for a decent set up that will serve its purpose well but also be practical enough for travel, as that's where it will be used most of the time.

I'm currently looking at a set up of Oceanic gear as the local warranty is good and servicing etc will be a lot easier to organise / deal with should any problems arise.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for, I'm also on the larger size at around 100kgs and short and stocky in stature.

Currently on the list is
Oceanic Excursion II
Oceanic EOS / FDX-10 regulator
Oceanic Geo 2.0 computer
Oceanic Basic gauge set up

I already have fins, etc that fit me well and I like so this is really just the other important stuff.

Given my diving profile, is it even worth buying my own gear or just getting a computer or regs?

Thanks for the help

If you travel and go on a dive trip once or twice year, buying your own can be less costly than renting. As a traveling diver you may want to look at compact and light weight gear. I'm not familiar with the gear you listed, but I made my first non-local / cold trip in six years last week and I loved my Golem stream backplate and the oxycheq all fabric travel plate. That one you can roll up with a reg and wing, fitting it into a computer bag or small duffle.

If you travel and go on a dive trip once or twice year, buying your own can be less costly than renting. As a traveling diver you may want to look at compact and light weight gear. I'm not familiar with the gear you listed, but I made my first non-local / cold trip in six years last week and I loved my Golem stream backplate and the oxycheq all fabric travel plate. That one you can roll up with a reg and wing, fitting it into a computer bag or small duffle.

Thanks for this, my only concern with the dedicated lightweight / compact gear, is that it may be a little advanced for me at my current level, I've only used jacket style BC's thus far and I'm still a beginner, so I don't want to purchase something that would be more suited to a season pro.

It seems that is often the perception of a wing and plate; the setup is somehow advanced. It's really a very simple piece of gear. That said, I believe my friend was using you chosen BC and it looked very nice. I've been looking over my gear with an eye to create a reduced weight setup. I'd like to take some more warm trips.

I'm off to Fiji in march for 7 days of diving and I'm looking at purchasing my own gear as the rental stuff either doesn't fit me properly or isn't that great in terms of quality, for example the mouth piece on the reg on my GBR live aboard turned my gums to a giant ulcer.

*****************************************************************************************

I got one of those mouthpieces you mold to your teeth (like the sleeping at night thing that keeps you from grinding teeth). Works great. Bought it at an LDS.

The Excursion II is an excellent BC. I have about 95 dives on mine, still looks pretty new. It is not only a back inflate, but the bladder is a wing. I dive with others that have back inflate Knighthawks. True they are back inflate, but the bladder is built in to the overall BC and it seems the bungees don't keep it uniform. I have seen them get out of whack and have one side be able to have much more air than the other.

With that being said, I have built a BP/W that I have yet to use. I would not look at that option as being only for the experienced diver. In a way, with the minimalist approach, it is much less to deal with.

I also have the Oceanic CDX5 and GT3 regulator. Served me well up until I got a great deal on an Aqualung Legend...

On regulators:

As you will be diving on holidays only, it can be assumed that you don't want to service your own gear (which gets economical if you dive weekly). So you won't need Apeks regulators :wink: Choose whatever regulator is easy and cheap to service in a local dive shop and also world wide. You won't be diving in cold water either, so basically any regulator is ok. Make an intelligent choice with respect to cost and weight. Some carbon fibre - titanium regulators cost their weight in gold... You just need a basic, easy to service regulator. Nothing more. You might want to compare a few models. They may have different mouth pieces. The apeks Comfy mouthpiece is lovely. The Poseidon mouthpiece... well... keeps you alive. I am not familiar with Oceanic regulators. Bottom line: if it delivers air and is comfortable and service is available, get it.

On computers:

You will also need a basic computer. No need to spend a lot of money. Nitrox support would be a good investment though, as oxygen enriched air is a very very healthy thing on long dive trips. Dive computers rarely need service. I have used my computer for three years and 200+ dives and the battery just keeps on going. Assuming that you dive with a single tank, and very rarely, it will be your gas consumption rate, not the no decompression time, that limits your dives. Hence, the only relevant number on the dive computers screen will be the depth -> You will need a depth gauge and a submersible pressure gauge for your air cylinder. A computer records nice profiles, however. Bottom line: get any cheap nitrox computer that you like.

It is better to have a separate (air cylinder) pressure gauge, compass and computer. The so called 'consoles' may be confusing and cumbersome. Too much stuff in one place plus they always hang inconveniently.

On buoyancy compensators:

No. You won't need zippered pockets (weight pockets are needed, of course). No. you won't need fancy color. It's just an air bubble. What you might want is a back inflation bcd where the air cell is behind your back. It only affects your buoyancy without providing the "reaffirming" (or unpleasant) squeeze around the torso. A more streamlined diving position may also result. Light weight aluminum back plates with a continuous webbing harness and an air bladder are also an option. That aluminum plate and air bladder may actually weigh less than a jacket bdc. And it will last forever. And it is simpler -> easier to use / more versatile than a jacket. That Oceanic Excursion may not be a completely bad choice. It is back inflation jacket. Also take a look at the Hollis "wings and harnesses" at Home - Oceanic Scuba Diving & Snorkelling Equipment & Scuba Dive Gear The cost of a solo harness and a wing is actually less than the cost of the jacket. Padding? I never needed any. Simplicity is the key under water. Padded shoulder straps only make life more complicated under water. If you plan on wearing your bcd and cylinder on a shopping mall, then some padding might be recommended.

A back plate would fit you and double you and your child.

Last edited:
Imprint, I am totally in favor of you (and every diver) having their own equipment. Not only will it fit better, you will be familiar with it using it on every dive, and you can control the proper care and maintenance, knowing that on every dive you are using quality and well maintained equipment. The gear you selected is quality stuff and will serve you for a long time. Most input on gear here on the board is expressions of personal preference unless it pertains to gear for special situation ( cold water) or technical diving. I also think TMHeimer'[s suggestion of a custom mouth piece is a good one- I have one of those and thjey are not costly. But a well-fitting "stock" regulator can be almost as comfortable. SO get your gear, and go diving!
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for this, my only concern with the dedicated lightweight / compact gear, is that it may be a little advanced for me at my current level, I've only used jacket style BC's thus far and I'm still a beginner, so I don't want to purchase something that would be more suited to a season pro.

Advanced divers want simpler gear as they have other things to consider, too.

He is referring to two shoulder straps and one belt. The jacket bcd also has two shoulder straps and a belt. These setups have the same features but one is more adjustable (you can get 300ft of webbing and put that backplate on a whale).

We have used metal back plates and air bladders ("wings") on diving intros, and they are just lovely. No need to be an advanced diver. Only cost, weight and volume matter. And the feel.

If you like jackets more, get one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom