Gear Inventory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huachele

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to get an idea of how most set up their gear when on an actual dive. I understand that there are millions of variables and I don't expect to address any of them here. I am looking for how you kit up for 90% of you dives. My goal is to try and streamline by not taking a bunch on extraneous gear underwater.

So, for a SINGLE TANK RECREATIONAL (NO STOP) DIVE how do you do the following:

MASK: Single/Dual/Tri/Quad Window
Brand Model:
SNORKEL: Yes/No
BC: Jacket/BPW/Back Inflate
Brand Model:
WEIGHT: Integrated/Belt
1ST STAGE: DIN/Yoke
OCTO: Standard/Necklace/Inflator
Brand Model:
PRIMARY: Long hose/Standard
Brand Model
FINS: Split/Paddle and Full foot/Open Heel
Brand Model:
COMPUTER: Wrist/Console and AI: Yes/No
Brand Model:
CUTTING TOOL: Knife/Scissors/Other tool
Brand Model:

SAFETY AND ACCESSORIES: Please list your safety gear and accessories and how you carry it.

PREFERRED EXPOSURE PROTECTION: Wet/Dry/None/Skin/Rashguard

COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, OPINIONS: Feel free to expound on your theories as to why you set up the way you do

Here is my set up:

MASK: Single Window
Brand Model: Oceanic
SNORKEL: Yes
BC: Back Inflate
Brand Model: Aeris EX100
WEIGHT: Integrated
1st STAGE: Yoke
OCTO: Standard
Brand Model: Atomic Z2
PRIMARY: Standard
Brand Model: Atomic Z2
FINS: Split Open Heel
Brand Model: Atomic
COMPUTER: Wrist AI: No
Brand Model: Oceanic GEO 2
CUTTING TOOL: Knife
Brand Model:?

SAFETY AND ACCESSORIES: DSMB and Spool in a Zeagle QD Pouch; Torch, compass, slate,whistle in pocket; weight typically in trim pouches on tank. Octo is clipped to dring on right shoulder; SPG is clipped to dring on left hip

PREFERRED EXPOSURE PROTECTION: Wet

COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, OPINIONS: I am new to all of this and am learning as I go. This board has been incredibly helpful.

Last edited:
I started to fill all that out, and realized I could shorten things by saying that I dive a standard Hogarthian setup, which you can read about HERE. My backplate is Oxycheq and my wing is DSS, and my regs are HOG.

For safety equipment, I carry what I think I'm going to need for that dive. I have a knife on my belt on all dives; on most dives, I have a set of wetnotes in a dry suit pocket, and a pre-rigged SMB on a spool in the other. For boat diving, I add a DiveAlert and a mirror to the pocket with the wetnotes.

MASK: Single
Brand Model: Oceanic Shadow
SNORKEL: No
BC: BPW
Brand Model:Dive Rite steel Back plate and 25 lb wing.
WEIGHT: none
1ST STAGE: Yoke
OCTO: Standard
Brand Model:Zeagle Envo
PRIMARY: Standard
Brand Model: Zeagle Envo Delux
FINS: Paddle and Open Heel
Brand Model: Scuba pro slingshot
COMPUTER: Wrist/ AI: No
Brand Model:Suunto Vyper
CUTTING TOOL: Knife/Scissors/Other tool
Brand Model:Off brand titanium knife, and/or off brand emt sheers

SAFETY AND ACCESSORIES: DAN SMB (contains whistle, chemlight, and mirror in a handy package), Nautilus lifeline, and a DRIS 1000 lumen torch light.

EXPOSURE: 3mm wetsuit

COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, OPINIONS: This is an ever evolving setup based on my needs, budget, and what I already have. That is I started with a standard PADI setup, and if it isn't broke don't fix it. I would like to eventually swap to a DIN regulator, and try out a long hose config. The other goal is KISS, I don't want tons of toys or accessories, just the bare minimum of what I need in the environment I am diving in.

I started to fill all that out, and realized I could shorten things by saying that I dive a standard Hogarthian setup, which you can read about HERE.

Not sure if that shortened things any but I get the picture. Thanks. Good link.

My gear for a dive depends upon the dive. For fun diving, warm water:

Atomic Frameless mask
Jet Fins or Mares Avanti Quattro
Voit Snugpack or VDH plate
USD Mistral or Royal Aqua Master
weight belt if needed
Tekna knife
watch, depth gauge and computer and small compass
B&G spg

N

I started to fill all that out, and realized I could shorten things by saying that I dive a standard Hogarthian setup, which you can read about HERE. My backplate is Oxycheq and my wing is DSS, and my regs are HOG.

For safety equipment, I carry what I think I'm going to need for that dive. I have a knife on my belt on all dives; on most dives, I have a set of wetnotes in a dry suit pocket, and a pre-rigged SMB on a spool in the other. For boat diving, I add a DiveAlert and a mirror to the pocket with the wetnotes.

I dive the same system. It's streamline, comfortable and functions great! My backplate & wing are halcyon, my regs Scubapro.

On boat dives I often add a larger SMB into my backplate, occasionally I carry a whistle. In OW I always carry wet notes, lights, a pre-rigged 3.3' smb and knife.

What is the advantage of the Oxycheq plate over the DSS?

---------- Post added March 5th, 2013 at 07:19 AM ----------

My gear for a dive depends upon the dive. For fun diving, warm water:

Voit Snugpack or VDH plate

N

How do you like the VDH plate? Have you tried it with a single-hose?

MASK: Single Window
Brand Model: SaekoDive "cheapo"... don't know the model
SNORKEL: Yes/No--both, depending on length of surface swim ... doesn't work real great with my long hose though so I try not to most times
BC: BPW
Brand Model: Salvo plate with homemade wing... tried a HOG 30# wing but it was too big and "floppy" for my taste. I use a single-piece harness.
WEIGHT: cam band pockets and weight belt when diving cold water. No weight necessary in light exposure gear.
1ST STAGE: Yoke -Scubapro MK5
OCTO: Necklace
Brand Model: currently a Voit/AMF Swimaster MR12 II. Probably move to Conshelf 14 once I service it.
PRIMARY: Long hose
Brand Model: ScubaPro G250
FINS: Split/Paddle and Full foot/Open Heel --all of these depending upon water temps and foot protection.
Brand Model: Splits: Tusa ExtremeIII, Full foot (my preferred fin): Saekodive "cheapo", Open heel paddle: Mares Quattros
COMPUTER: Wrist
Brand Model: Oceanic Veo180 no AI
CUTTING TOOL: Scissors/Other tool
Brand Model: 1 pair of trauma sheers and 1 trilobite "z cutter" style cutting tool.

I also carry an SMB and 100 foot finger spool in a thigh pocket on all dives plus two Intova "backup" torches attached to my chest d-rings. My compass is also on a wrist mount.

What is the advantage of the Oxycheq plate over the DSS?

---------- Post added March 5th, 2013 at 07:19 AM ----------

How do you like the VDH plate? Have you tried it with a single-hose?

I like it a lot. As far as using it with a single hose, that is not an issue, it works jut fine. The plate is designed to allow the tank to ride lower than modern plates but you can certainly slip the tank up a bit in the bands, no problem. Unfortunately modern plates do not allow the opposite because:

1. The upper band falls off the shoulder of the tank
2. The plate runs into the double hose can.

The reasons above are why the plate was designed, but, yes, it works just dandy with my Oxy wings and a single hose regulator.

N

Atomic Frameless mask
AGIR plate and Oxy wing
Apeks FSR/XTX 50s (44" primary, 22" bungeed second)
HOG 2" B&G SPG (24" hose)
Heinrichs Weikamp computer and scubapro Bottom timer
Mb-sub can light and solus back up
SK7 compass
Wenoka compact knife
Halcyon smb and spool
Weightbelt
fins: depends on type, location and conditions of dive: usually either Jets, seawing Gorillas or Hollis F2.

open ocean and boat diving
safety pocket: EMT shears, dive alert horn, mirror, OMS dye, storm whistle, big carter SMB, jotron strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom