gear review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@trig009: Thanks for following up with the additional info. It sounds like you got a great deal on the gear you bought. I think that the $380 that you paid for the watch would have been better spent on dive training, but that's just my opinion. I'm going to make a prediction, though. Once you encounter a DIR or tech diver on one of your boat dives, you're going to look at his gear and see how different it is from your own. You'll wonder why he has made certain gear choices. You may even ask him a bunch of gear-related questions. Then, you'll make plans to sell off what you've got...or just keep it as a spare set...or try to get a friend/significant other into the sport because you've got an extra set of gear gathering dust.

It's clear that you are very enthusiastic about learning how to dive. However, you should be aware that, for various reasons, some people who express a high level of enthusiasm for diving prior to OW class end up never really getting into the sport. They may have problems completing certain skills. They might have issues with equalization due to their anatomy being suboptimal (low probability, but possible nonetheless). They might find out that they have some health-related issue that is incompatible with diving. It might be difficult to find good dive buddies. Their life situation (marriage, kids, job) might change. They might move to a place that makes it difficult to dive regularly. They may get into a different sport/hobby that they find even more rewarding. Please understand that I list these things not to discourage you. I just think you're getting a little ahead of yourself with respect to gear-buying.

But what do I know? I'm just a faceless entity on the Internet... :D

All of us really want you to enjoy your dive experience. I think you're going to have a lot of fun learning how to dive. Have fun and be safe out there...

lol, that is something i know very well. between the army and EOD we get so much gear that we have no idea what to do with it all, but we can't throw it out because if we need it we would have to have deep pockets to buy it ourselves. after reading your responses again i think i will start with this gear and while i go down the line of learning i will piece together a set that is optimal for me. if anything i can leave this set in FL with the family for vacations and have what ever i find works best for me with me. i took a look at a post that covered flying with SCUBA equipment and i would rather have 2 sets down the line than pay that much.

i don't think you are trying to discourage me and i will take your advice with me as i progress in this sport.

Personally, I have no use for an expensive analog watch.

I prefer a $30 Casio digital watch, rated to 300 meters. I've been diving with it for 6 years. I find the digital timer function to be most useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom