Gear Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sryoon58

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone, I am a newbie to the sport and I am getting ready to make my first purchase of gear. I need some advise - I am leaning towards the Black Diamond BC, Atomic B2, Atomic SS1, 130 Steel tank, and a undetermined dive computer. A friend is advising that I should go with a steel back plate BC vs. the Black Diamond because he feels it is more streamlined in the water. Does anyone have an opinion about the Black Diamond or recommendations of a different back inflate BC? I also need some suggestions on Dive Computers that have big, readable displays and work well. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions before I make my final decision. Thanks, SRY

Just sold my steel 120. Got tired of walking to entries carrying a ton on my back. But maybe you're not old.

I just added a 130 to my stable of 120s. Damn if I don't like it even better!

I have an Aeris Atmos AI specifically because it has huge numbers on it. It is my first computer so I really cannot compare it to anything else...but boy does it have big numbers!

I was kind of new too and was talked into bp/w. Now I think back, Black Diamond would have been better off for me. Not that bp/w is not great in many different ways, but my simple diving style simply doesn't take advantage of the benefits. I don't see I will be doing Tech Dive any time, nor will I dive double-tanks. The infinitely configura-ble benefit doesn't mean much to me. The Black Diamond would be more comfortable and the amenities (pockets, etc.) are kind of useful. The extra money would be better spent for a few boat dives.

Personally I too would go with the Bp/W. I think its more beneficial then jacket. It is more adapatable to any diving and you won't need to spend twice. Depending on which brand you get. They can be cheaper then jackets. As mentionaed if you decide to go to doubles at some point all you need to do is have a doubles wing. If you want a canister lights it mounts directly on the weebing. Attaching a sling/pony bottle is simple. If your looking check out the Halcyon Eclispe if you need the adjustment and padding for just a little more go with the infinity system. If you feel you need those extra straps or padding but don't like the Halcyon Check out the Diverite Transpac, It too is a great BC. If cost is an issue look at HOG. You can get into a complete Hog system for about 300.00 or just under.

As for the Reg's I would skip on the SS1 and go with a straight Octopus or the Long/Short hose confgiuration which I personally like with the Octo around your neck.

The Black Diamond would be more comfortable and the amenities (pockets, etc.) are kind of useful. The extra money would be better spent for a few boat dives.

Bp/W systems you can also have pockets on them. Both weight pockets for weight if needed or pockets for stowing things. If you BP/w you have the ability to shed excess weight of your waist. I personally use trim weight pockets with my setup and Have 2 pockets on my Drysuit so have no need for one on my harness. But If i did need one Its simple to thread one on.

Single Tank BC Systems | Halcyon Dive Systems

10-Eclipse-System_c400.jpg

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend taking a look at the "What did you buy that you regret?" thread. You'll get a lot of information about purchases people later rethought or redid, often at significant cost.

I have to say...BP/W doesn't have to be "Tech" oriented. In the old days (way way old) divers didn't even use a BC at all. It wasn't tech it was just diving. I bought a BP/W for two very good reasons. 1) COMFORT. I can't think of anything more comfortable (other than no BC) than a BP/W config. no jacket squeezing my ribs or abs, no integrated weight feel (not to mention that jacket BC's cause you to carry more lead just due to their inhenrent bouyancy-up to 3 lbs in some cases I have heard) and 2) PRICE. Forget Halcyon or DR Trans-pac (or whatever) both at $400.00-$700.00 crazy!!!! I went to cave adventurers.com and bought their generic ss BP for $69.00 and the DR deluxe harness(yes, I splurged for the quick release shoulder strap - due to my bad shoulder) for $35.00 and added an H.O.G. wing (32 lb) from Dolphin for $199.00 and down the road I went. I love my BP/w because it is incredibly comfortable. Nope, I don't cave dive, or deep dive (sub 150 fsw) or do any other "tech" stuff...I just bought a BP/w because it was the closest I could get to not having a BC at all and it was the cheapest option available. for $305.00 I was in the water diving and not saving up until I could buy a $700.00 Zeagle or Black Diamond, etc...

okay...now for full disclosure: I had to buy two cam straps (~41.00 in the end), 6 lbs of lead soft shot weight (~$24.00), and two Scuba XS harness pockets (~15.00)...so , yeah...SCUBA diving is not a cheap hobby but I still think the DIY BP/W is the cheapest way to go and is still the most comfortable (for me). :d
Cheers and good diving!

I have a Black Diamond that I use for teaching classes. It is not streamlined, that wing is oversized (50 lb lift),the rig is heavy, the pocket on the front oversized waistband is pointless. What I do like is the D-rings, trim pockets high up on the shoulders and the feel of the backpad. My suggestion is if your hearts on SeaQuest take a close look at the Balance. There are many other back inflate BC's out there...yes including BP&W. Try them on, dive them and make your own choice.

The Atomic is a nice reg. I've only tried one in a pool so I'll leave the reviews to others.

OK, i have a different take on this....

Ask the dive shop if you can try out the gear in one of their pools. If you are buying online, well, you are kind on your own there. Most reputable dive shops will be fine with you trying on the gear in one of the pools that they rent, so you can see which of your purchases is the most comfortable and the best for you. As for the whole streamlining thing...sorry, but the difference between a BP/W and a jacket style isn't enough to be significant, IMHO.

Regulators...heck, any regulator you buy these days will be more than adequate for a sport diver's needs. most will be adequate for even a techie's needs as well. In my opinion the only real difference in regs these days is the mouthpieces, and even those you can mix and match. The one thing i look for in a regulator is its ability to be taken apart and serviced in the field easily, that way if any caca hits the fan it's not a huge deal.

It's all about where you want to go with your diving career.

If you want to do mostly recreational diving, any gear you buy will be fine. Heck, you should be able to dive with a balloon for a BC when you get experienced enough. Any kind of mask, any kind of fins, any kind of gear. It shouldn't make any difference what gear you have on if you have trained your body and mind sufficiently.

If you want to go more towards the techie side, consider getting a BP/W setup. They are pretty nice, and you probably won't have to spend as much money. If you do go this route, please don't get one of the cookie-cutter pre put together packages. go but a backplate, buy a wing, and buy some D-rings and webbing. The process of putting your gear together yourself makes you much more familiar with your gear and will be more comfortable. Pre-packages deals just spoon feed you mush, and wouldn't you rather cook your own dinner? If you are leaning towards this side, make sure the reg you get is a diaphragm or a balanced piston, as they will give good performance at greater depths.

Oh, tanks, i totally forgot tanks. I prefer aluminum. No rust, no worries. no annoying tumbling or re-painting or any of that crap. just a wash every year and it's done. Aluminum oxide prevents further oxidation below it, while with rust you have to wonder if that tiny spot extends all the way to the edge of the tank wall. That's why i prefer aluminum over steel. However, steel tanks can provide more cubic feet of gas, so if you are willing to put up with the hassle, go for it.

Happy diving, let us know what you decide!

Back
Top Bottom