Gear surprises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a good thing to learn about your own equipment,learn all you can. Your trusting your life to someone you dont know.
Ive had new 2nd stages spin off during a surface swim because they were finger tight.
I sent my regulator set to 2 different shops for servicing, both sets free flowed when I got them back.
I sent 4 tanks to get hydo/Vip at different times,3 out of 4 when I drained the tank down completely the valves spun freely in my hand.
I have learned in only 3 years of diving to check and recheck everything to my satisfaction. It is sad but thats the way it is.
So If I may suggest, hook your reg up to a tank, check for leaks,free flow. Check your spg to see if the gauge is correct. I forgot to mention that I received a new one 500 psi off. Hook your bc up and do the same thing. Just to be safe its easier to find out at home instead of at the dive site and have to call the dive. Keith

I am now curious what reg you get? By "hose for primary reg, short hose for back up reg", did you get 7ft long hose & 22in short hose?

:shocked2: 500 PSI off? Wow! Very good idea, checking to make sure that is reading correctly.

I am now curious what reg you get? By "hose for primary reg, short hose for back up reg", did you get 7ft long hose & 22in short hose?

I actually got the 5' long primary hose. I don't know what the length of the backup reg hose is, but it's going to be on a necklace around my neck.

Oops...I forgot to say I got a Hog reg.

Some of us don't use any lube on static o-rings, and you only need oxygen-compatible lubricants if you are going to use the regulator for mixes with more than 40% O2.

Holy cow! More stuff I have no idea about! Wow, thanks for that info.

Who knows where my diving career will take me. I'm hoping I got regs that I could take into a tech class if I decide to go there.

You did indeed. All you'll need to add now is an addtional 1st stage if you decide to go the doubles route:cool2:.
But if you do that you'll need to get a BPW and swap the 5ft for a 7ft hose.

The Hog regs are great -- I know a lot of people (myself included) using them for technical dives.

Some of us don't use any lube on static o-rings, and you only need oxygen-compatible lubricants if you are going to use the regulator for mixes with more than 40% O2.

I have a question about this, as I replaced some hoses on my first/second stage and did not lube the O-rings. When I asked about it, I thought I understood that the O-rings on the second stages were not static, and thus should have had a small bit of lube.

I guess what this boils down to is how do I tell the difference between static and non-static O-rings? I can clearly see that, say, the SPG spool is not static, but what about the second stage-to-hose O-ring that screws in and then swivels? And how about first stage one that doesn't swivel but does get screwed in (vs. just pressed)?

Thanks,
Blue Sparkle

I have a question about this, as I replaced some hoses on my first/second stage and did not lube the O-rings. When I asked about it, I thought I understood that the O-rings on the second stages were not static, and thus should have had a small bit of lube.

I guess what this boils down to is how do I tell the difference between static and non-static O-rings? I can clearly see that, say, the SPG spool is not static, but what about the second stage-to-hose O-ring that screws in and then swivels? And how about first stage one that doesn't swivel but does get screwed in (vs. just pressed)?

Thanks,
Blue Sparkle

If it's meant to move/swivel or moves/swivels a lot during the course of your dive it's probably a NON-STATIC oring.
Examples are the couplings between your hoses and
- angle adapters
- second stages
- swivels
- spg (spool and sometimes the threading)

If it's not meant to move it's STATIC
examples
- hose couplings to the first stage
*some people advocate an extremely small application though. I don't even put enough to make a shine, I just lube my finger, rub it in then run it over my orings. I do this to make sure the oring has some moisture and doesn't become brittle and dry.
** There are exceptions to this. Some manufacturers have a 5th bottom LP port which they say should be lubed when installing your hose there.

- inflator hose to inflator
- tank-to-valve oring
- DIN or yolk-to-tank oring
*although the yolk connection can move when screwed onto a tank, as soon as you pressurize it -> it becomes static and immovable w/o a lot of force

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom