Gear surprises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoccerJeni

Scuba Baby
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought my first reg setup recently and I'm so excited. But, there were a few things that surprised me when I went through the process of ordering and when I received the package. There is just truly so much to learn and figure out. So, with that being said, I'm still so new I don't claim that everything below is how it always happens, but this is what happened to me.

First, I really thought that when you went to buy your regulator you were getting the whole set up, just like the one you rent. I did figure it out way before ordering a regulator meant ONLY the regulator, so it wasn't a surprise when I went to order. But, for those of you that don't know, unless you get some kind of package you will need to order each item like the first stage, regulator, octo (or 2nd reg), and hoses.

Second, I never ever thought it would come to me in individual pieces. I opened the box and was wide eyed to see I had to put it all together. Luckily I called the shop and they were very good and went through setting it up step by step, even texting pictures back and forth. But, that was very surprising. Several people asked me why I didin't ask them to set it up for me...but how would I ever know that it wasn't going to come set up? I would never imagine that. Now, I don't know if this is common or not, but that's what happened to me.

I did look at setting it up as an opportunity to learn my gear and I'm kind of glad I did get to learn about it. But, I wonder what other gear surprises there will be out there.

Where did you buy your reg setup from?

They SHOULD have been assembled, balanced, tested, etc.

Unless you're absolutely confident in your abilities to set up your own regulator you should have it tested/inspected.
Inspected not in the terms of tearing it apart, but as in plugging it into a machine and reading it's IP, it's breathing resistance etc etc.
And having a trained eye do a one over with it plugged into a tank.
Just to be on the safe side.

Generally new regulator set ups will come in 3 or more pieces: First stage w/ primary, octo, HP gauge/computer. This is because you usually buy them in pieces. I'm unsure if manufacturer-made packaged setups come assembled as I've never delt with that before.
The way I view it, setting it up is the responsibility of the diver but is a customary service of the shop that sold it to you. They aren't required to do it, but will do it if asked. They're asking permission to touch your gear after all.
Some online stores will set it all up for you before shipping, but you usually have to ask or select the option in the drop down.

Yet another nice learning experience Jeni :wink:

Now just to ask.
- Did you inspect your hoses' orings for lint?
- Did you apply very little or no lube to your hoses' orings?
- Did you only apply a small finger portion of force when tightening your hoses w/ a wrench?
- Did you make sure not to force your LP hose into an HP port or vice versa?

If you are unsure about any of this PM me immediately and I'll send you my address so you can send it over for inspection. I'll even pay for the shipping ;P

Edit:
I would hope most manufacturer's still test and inspect their final product before shipping or storage in their warehouse.
*Just to clarify, by test your reg I mean checking the IP, the breathing resistance, internal pressures etc etc.

Would it a smart idea to test your new gear even if a trained tech put it together? Probably would.

Would it be an unsafe idea to not have it tested? Probably not, chances are low that you'll get a defective piece of equipment, but they're still there.

For reference, my shop's tech said he didn't need to test my gear after he assembled. He said it wouldn't have shipped if it wasn't up to code. To be fair my gear came straight from the manufacturer, not sure how long it had been sitting in a warehouse though.
He did however plug my reg on a tank and gave everything a dry run. I think that should be done at the very least before walking out the store.

Last edited:
Good for you for buying your own gear (it makes for being a more active diver) and for learning alot more about it than most divers do. You have also learned the value of buying from a local dive shop that is there to assemble all, can service it, and also teach you about maintenance and repair in the field when needed. I have written alot about the reasons for spending a little more at your local retailer than you might spend on line, and you have illustrated a number of those reasons.
DivemasterDennis

For those new folks reading this thread. Sometimes these topics get rushed through in class where there is so much info thrown at students at the same time. Remembering it all can be overwhelming .

"Regulators" come in multiple parts that require assembly. LDSs usually assemble these for free and test them for you right there in the shop. Online stores may or may not include this service and if so, it may have to be a special request.

Part1: "The Regulator: - actually the First stage and the primary second stage (usually sold as a set) - connects to the tank, main breathing tool.
Part2: Pressure Gauge & instrumentation in a Console w/ or w/o Computer or air-integrated computer - to know tank pressure.
Part3: Alternate Air Source - another "second stage" to share in case of emergency
Part4: BCD Inflator hose - these come with the BCD as hose lengths match the length of the corrugated inflator hose.
Part5: Dry Suit Inflator hose - where needed, these come with the dry suit.

It is important to assemble hoses in the correct LP ports and HP ports as well as consider hose routing for comfort.

SoccerJeni - congrats on your new reg! (Birthday present to self? - those are the best) Here's to lots more diving!

Last edited:
Did you only apply a small finger portion of force when tightening your hoses?

GUE used to recommend this, and stopped, as too many connections were coming loose and leaking. Finger tight is not tight enough, but just a little pressure with a wrench is sufficient.

Putting stuff together isn't rocket science, and most regulators come properly adjusted from the factory -- but not all. If you encounter any problem, like the reg seeming to be difficult to breathe, it needs to be checked. Of course, the most egregious case of this I've run into was a regulator that was bought from a shop, assembled and tested by said shop . . .

I can remember having a leak from the connection between a hose and my second stage that caused me to scrub a dive. I sat on shore and waited for my buddies, and thought about the whole thing. I finally concluded that, according to one of my father's basic principles of life, someone had assembled the regulator, and therefore, I should be able to take it apart and put it together again, even if I didn't understand how it worked. So I unscrewed the hose from the second stage, inspected the o-ring, and put it back together -- Presto, no leak! I could have saved a dive if I had realized how simple that fix was. So I think it is wonderful that you had to put your own gear together. You will be much more confident in fixing minor problems, because you know how it all works.

Good work, Jenni! Also, thanks for sharing your experience. I bought used gear and the guy I bought it from was a tech instructor who showed me how to break it all down and inspect it (without disassembling the individual stages) so I got lucky. I've seen several threads here on Scubaboard about people not expecting piece-parts when they buy online,though and this was one of the more self-aware posts of these types.

Good for you working it out and dealing with the shop and good for the shop for helping a customer they didn't have to help!

Did you only apply a small finger portion of force when tightening your hoses?
GUE used to recommend this, and stopped, as too many connections were coming loose and leaking. Finger tight is not tight enough, but just a little pressure with a wrench is sufficient.

Opps, you're right, I meant to say "small finger portion of force using a wrench". I'll edit my post.
I usually just press two fingers about 6in's from the head of the wrench and very lightly press (don't want to use too much leverge). Then I check to see if I can unscrew the hose with my bare hands.
Thanks for the catch TSandM

Jenni...good for you. Good to see that you also got great customer support from the store your dealt with. As you mentioned, it is a good way to learn a bit more about your own equipment. There is also a wealth of info that can be gathered from the internet as well as many videos you can refer to originating from either the companies themselves or their distributor.

In addition to what Mselenaous is covering in her post I think most of the other diving accessories already come pre-assembled the exception being perhaps BP/Wg unless it is advertised as a package where you may have to weave the strap, set-up the Drings, attach the bladder, etc.

Like anything else...if in doubt, read the instructions first and if still unsure inquire to a reliable person or source.

Thanks guys! :) I am happy to know how it all goes together. Just to make sure I'm saying it right, since I'm still new and can say it wrong sometimes...I did not get an unassembled regulator. I received a box from the dive shop that included: first stage, primary regulator (aka, 2nd stage), 2nd regulator (aka back up reg), long hose for primary reg, short hose for back up reg, inflator hose for my BCD (bought my BCD used and didn't come with it), a DIN to Yoke convertor, and an SPG that was already assembled.

This was actually a purchase I had been researching for over a month (yes, it was a little bit of a bday present Mselenaous :wink: ). I didn't not purchase it from Leisure Pro or anything like that. I purchased it from a good friend's LDS. This friend's LDS is well known throughout the nation, and came highly recommended from several people. I think they may typically serve a more tech type diver than an OW diver. I don't think they did anything wrong though, so I don't want to go down that road. I'm more here to share with other new divers what misconceptions I had when I was going through this purchase.

And TSandM, you are so right, it is a pretty easy set up. I was very nervous at first because this is a very vital piece of gear, and my lifeline underwater, so I didn't want to mess it up. But, the shop was fantastic and dealt well with my little knowledge and nervousness.

g1138...I did put just a little bit of oxylube (I think that's the name) on my finger and coated the oring lightly with it. OH! That's another thing, if you're going to assemble your own setup you will need oxylube (or whatever it's called), and it's a good thing to keep in your "save a dive" kit so when you need to replace an Oring you have it.

I will be jumping in the pool tonight and will be testing everything out, AND I'm getting my new computer tonight too! :dance: Yippee for having my own gear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom