Gear surprises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually got the 5' long primary hose. I don't know what the length of the backup reg hose is, but it's going to be on a necklace around my neck.

Oops...I forgot to say I got a Hog reg.

good choice on hose length, and good choice for reg :) You may end up with 7ft long hose later, but 5ft primary & necklace backup is major step forward.

I love my HOG 2nd stage. I hope Chris can work out some deal with my LDS so I can get them service easier.

Pale face... most tanks I see the valve will be hand "loose" after draining all pressure. Will your LDS refill an empty tank without a new vis? The freeflows... IMHO regs need to break in after service and should be broken in by the tech(using bench tools) and then tuned prior to being returned to owner. and a 2nd that is loose enough to be an issue on a dive should be caught predive and is probably too loose.

good choice on hose length, and good choice for reg :) You may end up with 7ft long hose later, but 5ft primary & necklace backup is major step forward.

I love my HOG 2nd stage. I hope Chris can work out some deal with my LDS so I can get them service easier.

Thank you!

I tried them out in the pool tonight. It was great! I practiced the airshare drill donating the long hose. It was easier than I expected. The only thing that I noticed is that it freeflows when turned upside down a little easier than I'm used to. I would assume that's something that can be adjusted though. So, overall it was a successful test!

Thank you!

I tried them out in the pool tonight. It was great! I practiced the airshare drill donating the long hose. It was easier than I expected. The only thing that I noticed is that it freeflows when turned upside down a little easier than I'm used to. I would assume that's something that can be adjusted though. So, overall it was a successful test!

Jenni, you may want to reduce the sensitivity of the reg before doing air share with it...ie turn the knob clockwise before passing it to somebody or doing the exercise. Some regs also tend to breath easier as you get deeper.

My HOG regs breath a little wet but I am used to it. Apparently there is a fix for it but I never got to it to find out what it is. It only does that when in weird position so no worries for me. Just so you are aware of it. (not sure if new versions have this fixed somehow)

Valves on tanks you don't really want too tight. If you need a mallet to remove the valve, it was probably too tight, or corroded.

I don't use much force on second stage attachment but what is really really really important is to use TWO wrenches!!

If you only use a wrench on the hose, you can twist the insides of the regulator around.

Just did surgery on a second stage last night that was destroyed because the hose was on too tight/ corroded on due to salt water, where someone used a single wrench on the hose to loosen it. Instead, they twisted the barrel 30*, and mangled the demand lever, while ripping it through the diaphragm.

So yes...ask a shop to assemble it if you don't know what you are doing :) I'm sure the online shop would have done so if they had known you were going to, but because you didn't tell them how you wanted it done, they assumed you wanted to do it yourself.

Why do you need a 7 foot for doubles? It actually makes the hose seem longer since it's on your right instead of in the middle.

I have a 7 foot currently on my double 80s but even being tucked under my canister light, it gets stuck on my right tank valve when I turn my head to the right then back left because it's too long (I'm 5'9"). If I pull the hose tighter around my neck, it will come loose on the light. I'm thinking of going down to a 6 foot.

The 5 foot would be perfect for no canister light.

I think(?) the main purpose of a long hose is for single file gas sharing through obstructions, but if even GUE standards lets you choose between 5, 6 and 7 feet, I'd think any of those would be ok.

Also, although Hog regs don't come with hoses or anything, a lot of others do come connected with a 28ish inch hose. My Hogs came like yours, but my Hollis came with a connected hose.

I believe it's because Hog caters to the tech community and tech divers like to choose their own hose setups.

Why do you need a 7 foot for doubles? It actually makes the hose seem longer since it's on your right instead of in the middle.

I have a 7 foot currently on my double 80s but even being tucked under my canister light, it gets stuck on my right tank valve when I turn my head to the right then back left because it's too long (I'm 5'9"). If I pull the hose tighter around my neck, it will come loose on the light. I'm thinking of going down to a 6 foot.

The 5 foot would be perfect for no canister light.

I think(?) the main purpose of a long hose is for single file gas sharing through obstructions, but if even GUE standards lets you choose between 5, 6 and 7 feet, I'd think any of those would be ok.

I'm 5'7" and find a 7 footer is perfect, even without a can light. You should be able to manage the extra hose, either by tucking into your belt (without a light or knife) or by pushing back the extra past the can light or knife. Works better with a can light because the canister holds it tighter than a knife usually does.

Regardless, there are plenty of threads that discuss 5' vs 7' hose, and I'm sure she did her reading beforehand.

Actually nevermind, she has a 5 foot hose, so why comment about a 7?

I'm 5'7" and find a 7 footer is perfect, even without a can light. You should be able to manage the extra hose, either by tucking into your belt (without a light or knife) or by pushing back the extra past the can light or knife. Works better with a can light because the canister holds it tighter than a knife usually does.

Regardless, there are plenty of threads that discuss 5' vs 7' hose, and I'm sure she did her reading beforehand.

Actually nevermind, she has a 5 foot hose, so why comment about a 7?

B/c others mentioned that she would need to switch to a 7' if she went doubles.

Pushing the extra hose past the can light makes the whole hose come loose and float up. I'll keep messing with it. Without the can I'm fine since it's in my belt.

Back
Top Bottom