General advice on travelling to Belize - insurance etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbj7

Dive Shop Owner
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The exchange below was part of another seemingly controversial thread, and looked like getting submerged. I think it might be useful for anyone contemplating coming here (though to be honest most of it applies to travelling anywhere). Original poster was "Downing":-

I wonder if charging for a hotel room in advance, rather than holding it with a credit card number, has become the norm in Belize.

In preparation for our upcoming trip this July, last month I reserved three nights at The Great House in Belize City, which we'll use as a home base while we do some activities on the mainland before heading off to Turneffe Island Resort. I gave them my credit card info to hold the room.

Much to my surprise, the hotel bill showed up on my last credit card statement. I called The Great House and confirmed that I now have a zero balance with them; in other words, I paid in advance without intending to do so. I don't remember this being the case when we stayed there for one night two years ago.

Although advance payment isn't standard practice here in the US, I actually prefer to get as many expenses out of the way before making the trip so this isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I'm not going to be happy if TGH goes under between now and when we arrive.

And just to make sure there are no misunderstandings when we arrive, I plan to bring my credit card statement with me to show proof of payment.

My response:-

I'm not an hotelier nor have I ever been, but I do understand that once an hotel has assigned a room to someone, thereby making it unavailable for other potential guests, they will want to be certain that they do actually get paid. That isn't just here - I found the same when I booked an hotel in Manhattan last year. I think that in today's straitened times when most hotels find it impossible to fill all their rooms they should think of relaxing this policy, in such a way as to protect both establishment and customer.

If I were visiting Belize and staying in an hotel, I think I'd do three things:-

(1) ask the hotel, and agent if you used one, what their cancellation policies were and ensure I could accept them. First of all, whether I believed them. It's often not difficult to get an idea of the credibility and honesty of an organisation from sources such as this. Beware that Trip Advisor, although widely used by honest people, is subject to manipulation by people with their own ulterior motives. Never believe a single isolated post, however good or bad it may be. If you're thinking of booking with several disparate organisations, eg. an hotel, a dive shop, an inland tour company, a car/golf cart rental company, and you have some doubts, don't be afraid to ask one company what they think of another. Verbally (by phone) preferably, so they know that you can't "cut and paste" back to the other business. And listen carefully to what is said and what isn't. It's rather like getting a reference on a prospective employee - often it's what's not said that is the most significant.

(2) take out good quality travel insurance that would cover not just the hotel going bust but also (say) the airline going bust (or a fresh volcano erupting) preventing me from even getting there. This insurance should also cover all aspects of hurricane incidence, so I would be financially protected in the event of my holiday perhaps starting but ending in a highly disorganised shambles. I said "good quality" insurance as many cheap policies, the sort you buy from a desk at the airport as you're flying out, are worth to you the time and effort you put into choosing them. Do research on policies as they vary enormously in what is in the small print. Policies based on your house insurance can often be the best deal and give the best protection.

Ensure that your insurance covers all expenditure including your very first payments - this may mean taking it out before you pay a cent towards your holiday.

Check how and when the insurer will pay you. Some will proactively help you during your holiday, a godsend if for example you're hit by a hurricane or the economic fallout from one. An extreme example, chartering their own aircraft and flying it into a storm-hit area to evacuate their customers (that hasn't happened here but has in places like India). These policies are certainly worth paying more for.

(3) make sure you have money, credit cards etc to cover necessary short-term expenditure. Remember that in some circumstances ATM machines may not function, so always have adequate cash. Traveller's cheques can also be a godsend, and more secure than cash.

I must admit, I would be wary of any business that wanted to take my money up-front before I had even seen what I was buying. The way I operated pre-paid dive packages when I ran my own dive centre was to ask for a significant deposit when booking, perhaps 20%, with the balance payable on arrival. But then I also had a rule that I always refunded for dives a customer had been unable to take and for which I had not already sustained the costs. Even so, I was scammed out of maybe $10k+ in the several years I was open. You can understand a small business owner wanting to protect himself from scoundrels.

In this particular case, the Great House has a significantly good reputation here and I very much doubt you will have a problem. Why you chose to stay in Belize City at all instead of somewhere up in Cayo is another matter.....

Lastly, please don't think that everyone here is trying to scam you given the chance. Most people who work and operate here are as honest as you are (!). But keep your wits about you for when you do come up against a shady character or business - they do exist here, just as much as at home.

I'm not an hotelier nor have I ever been, but I do understand that once an hotel has assigned a room to someone, thereby making it unavailable for other potential guests, they will want to be certain that they do actually get paid. That isn't just here - I found the same when I booked an hotel in Manhattan last year.
Not one of Manhattan's finer establishments, I'm guessing. Generally speaking, whatever assurance a hotel needs that it will get paid, it gets from the credit card company. So some amount of your credit limit may be set aside when you book a hotel or rental car--and it may be more than the actual charge to allow for add-ons--but you won't normally have an actual charge until you pass the cancellation deadline. For a hotel in Manhattan, that would typically be 24 hours before check-in time. For the Shangri-la in Cebu, and the Four Seasons in Bali, it is 5 to 7 days, if I recall correctly. That period is determined by the hotel to enable them to fill rooms after cancellations. They may not display it prominently, but they do make it evident if you go through the on-line payment procedure, and they will mention it if you reserve on the phone. The Grand Hyatt in Bangkok was recently offering a 25% discount to guests that paid 21 days in advance; I am glad I passed up the offer, because I have since cancelled my weekend in Bangkok and it will only cost me the $150 cancellation fee at Cathay Pacific.

It wasn't one of the most expensive to be sure, but it was very well located a short way up the Park West Side and was comfortable and well run. To clarify - they didn't take money from my credit card at the time of booking, but they did process my card and reserve the funds before they would confirm the booking. The money was only transferred when I signed the documents at checkout.

I can actually strongly recommend the hotel - it's the Comfort Inn, Upper West Side. Cost was only $70-$80 per night including breakfast.

To clarify - they didn't take money from my credit card at the time of booking, but they did process my card and reserve the funds before they would confirm the booking. The money was only transferred when I signed the documents at checkout.
Okay, that is consistent with what I would expect.

I can actually strongly recommend the hotel - it's the Comfort Inn, Upper West Side. Cost was only $70-$80 per night including breakfast.
Thanks, that's good to know. There aren't many reasonably-priced hotels in Manhattan. My couch was frequently pressed into service.

Within the dive industry and in general in the Caribbean hotels require a deposit to hold space and then 45 days prior to arrival full payment is required this is also the requirement for most Dive travel Agents and wholesalers in the USA and around the world.

Normal cancellation policy which are posted under rates on most websites states that cancellation 45-30 days out 50% refund cancellation within 30 days no refund.

Reasons for this are different depending on what business is taking the booking

Dive Travel Agents/ Wholesalers

Normally Agents collect money directly and then pay the hotel time needs to be allowed for them to take the payment and then have enough time for a check to be mailed to the hotel in the Caribbean or other remote location and mail takes time in those destinations. once check received deposit and clear the check again takes time.

Direct Bookings

Small hotels take the booking and remove the room from inventory and then refuse any further requests for that room from agent direct bookings etc. If they get a late cancellation they have no time to rebook that room after refusing other people that wanted the room.

Gaz

Within the dive industry and in general in the Caribbean hotels require a deposit to hold space and then 45 days prior to arrival full payment is required this is also the requirement for most Dive travel Agents and wholesalers in the USA and around the world.

Normal cancellation policy which are posted under rates on most websites states that cancellation 45-30 days out 50% refund cancellation within 30 days no refund.

This is consistent with my experience. Turneffe Island Lodge, where we'll be staying this summer, requires a 25% deposit at the time of booking and the balance to be paid 45 days prior to arrival.

Their cancellation policy is similar to what you stated, too, although I don't remember the details as I have no intention of canceling.

Small hotels take the booking and remove the room from inventory and then refuse any further requests for that room from agent direct bookings etc. If they get a late cancellation they have no time to rebook that room after refusing other people that wanted the room.

I understand why hotels big and small require a deposit and have some sort of policy for late cancellations and no-shows. I was just surprised that The Great House would ding my credit card for 100% of my three-night stay four months in advance of my arrival. I posted their policy in the other thread and nowhere did it say that they would do that. In fact, they used the word "deposit," which in retrospect is a bit misleading.

Now that you mention specific room requests, though, I wonder if my requesting a specific room had anything to do with it.

Hey, it's one more expense I won't have to worry about this summer it so it's all good. :cool2:

Last edited:
Possibly the full charge by the Great House was just a mistake by a clerk? These things do happen.

Maybe, but when I called the clerk didn't act as if anything was out the ordinary. At that point, I didn't pursue how it happened since I wasn't looking for a refund; I was more interested in confirming that their records reflect I've paid in full.

Four months ahead of time.

Last edited:
I think that is unusual downing ,unless agreed before hand usually they just charge a deposit and then automatically charge 45 days out.

When I had my place thats what we did charge a deposit if months out and hten 45 days prior to arrival collect full payment as per the terms and conditions.

Like you said its all done now and you aint got nothing to worry about except whether to order Beliken Beer or Beliken Stout LOL:D

Gaz

Forgot to mention that both dive accident and trip insurance are an absolute must, imho.

I use DAN for both.

I've never had to file a claim, knock on wood ("rap rap rap"), but DAN enjoys an excellent reputation.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom