General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My lack of proper vocabulary will bite me on this one, but I somewhat agree with you, but then again doing so would mean that I feel those in Memphis are better counterparts than my friends in Florida. I think to assume that is very wrong, but then again till we have a guitar sounds off, how will we know?

The only reason I reply to this post is that a few years ago we had a very similar event that your post brings back memories too. Sadly there was a well-known, high flatulent family that had a boat crash here in Smith Lake with the boat operator coming up missing after the crash. For the normal working class, the search would have entailed the services of the Sherriff and Rescue squad dive teams doing their thing, and when nothing is found nature would be allowed to take her course. However, this family – who I recall having some assistance from the governor pulled a working state bridge inspection team of divers – complete with on site recompression chamber with their own barge to the site to look for the guy. While I do not know the specifics of how long these divers were looking, an emergency event occurred where one of the divers suffered a severe DCI related injury. So in a nut shell, a guy lost his livelihood because someone else had a few Franklins to toss around. Later the man ended up surfacing on his own a short ways from the accident site.

For those around the Cullman/Walker county area, this event took place maybe around 2000-2003 somewhere. I’ll try to research it. But again, the whole point of my post, had this been any other Tom, Dick or Hairy…..would such drastic resources been called?

EDIT: high·fa·lu·tin, high·fa·lu·tin, high·fa·lu·tin now I know. lol

Last edited:
I think it's time to call in a psychic profiler. :popcorn:

xfilesmovie2008pic7.jpg

It's the only way we'll ever get the names of the smoking WKPP members and GUE instructors :wink:

Last edited:
BigKen, I come from a small northwest Georgia town, and we have sorta the opposite that goes on up there...... We have a pretty famous lawyer ( was part of OJ Simpson's defense team ) who lives in our fair town, and he pretty much has the run of the place. Seemingly cut and dry criminal offenses somehow find their way to not-guilty pleas, or some strange events will occur to allow someone to go free that would otherwise be spending quality time in jail. (I wont even get into the several mysterious "suicides" by some people that go un-investigated) I do feel its a shame that money and pull can cause such circuses as the one down at Vortex, but such is the society we live in today. My hope is that this can be concluded without anybody else suffering a life altering accident of any type.

fair enough. the age thing is a bit ridiculous though. these are two fairly experienced cave divers. young or old. to dismiss their opinions based on age is silly

Well he can speak for himself, but I didn't take his comment to be a dismissal of the opinions. It seemed to be more about the willingness to 'argue' over trival issues.

Maybe there is some underlying history I don't know about, but if the smoking comment was really meant to be an attack on the WKPP it was a pretty harmless attack anyway. It's certainly not going to change the respect I have for the WKPP. They can smoke 10 packs a day for all I care. It's just off topic and not worth the battle IMO, but if it really is worth the battle at least take it to a new thread, right?

Well he can speak for himself, but I didn't take his comment to be a dismissal of the opinions. It seemed to be more about the willingness to 'argue' over trival issues.

Maybe there is some underlying history I don't know about, but if the smoking comment was really meant to be an attack on the WKPP it was a pretty harmless attack anyway. It's certainly not going to change the respect I have for the WKPP. They can smoke 10 packs a day for all I care. It's just off topic and not worth the battle IMO, but if it really is worth the battle at least take it to a new thread, right?

I don't mean just his comment. this thread is littered with similar dismissals from different posters

I get so confused reading this (so many tangents). Can someone post a brief summary of where the situation stands today.

I kept up with it the first few weeks, but as of late have been away. Its sounds like the poor man is still missing, and it has yet tbd if Vortex was negligent with the key, or if the lock was jimmied or a countefiet cave card was used. The missing diver posted his dive plan to his Facebook page. Some mysterious Eastern European cave diver was with the missing diver a few hours before his disappearance and has posted videos of the diver on U-tube. and now some people are upset that so many rescources are being consumed to find him. And even in the midst of this Vortex is open for business and doing well. Has this all proved to be correct? There must be something new that I cant find or this thread would have dried up.

As sad as this is I could see it being made into a life time movie.

Thanks to anyone who can correct or add to my brief summary.

No, you haven't missed a thing.

I get so confused reading this (so many tangents). Can someone post a brief summary of where the situation stands today.

I kept up with it the first few weeks, but as of late have been away. Its sounds like the poor man is still missing, and it has yet tbd if Vortex was negligent with the key, or if the lock was jimmied or a countefiet cave card was used. The missing diver posted his dive plan to his Facebook page. Some mysterious Eastern European cave diver was with the missing diver a few hours before his disappearance and has posted videos of the diver on U-tube. and now some people are upset that so many rescources are being consumed to find him. And even in the midst of this Vortex is open for business and doing well. Has this all proved to be correct? There must be something new that I cant find or this thread would have dried up.

As sad as this is I could see it being made into a life time movie.

Thanks to anyone who can correct or add to my brief summary.

No, you haven't missed a thing.

GrannyScuba...if you had ready every single post on this incident on all the available boards and all other media you would definitely have missed something....you would have missed about 4 hours of your life that you could have been doing something more meaningful. This has been a charlie-foxtrot from the onset

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom