Generic Viz Stickers and refusal to fill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VIPS are good I wish the dot who is in charge of reg. our safety would set some std. on vips so we dont have to make it up as we go with no penalty that's there job
VIPs are good. I wish the Department of Transportation, which is in charge of regulating our safety, would set some standard on VIPs, so we don't have to make it up as we go, with no penalty [for non-compliance]. That's their job.

Neck cracks are easy to manage. Just stay away from the bad aluminum.

If you really want to protect yourself from breathing bad stuff, do your own inspections often. At least every time you get gas from other than a trusted supplier. The biggest justification for the "industry standard" annual vis is the revenue stream it produces for the shops.

The neck crack was on an old tank. It wasn't mine, but "not catching it" would most likely have killed the fill station guy.

If you really want to protect yourself from breathing bad stuff, do your own inspections often. At least every time you get gas from other than a trusted supplier.

This is probably overly paranoid, but I'm really picky about where I get gas now. If I'm doing a local (driving distance) dive trip, I just bring all my own tanks and fill them when I get back. After seeing the problem @ Dutch Springs a few years ago and getting an oily fill out in the middle of nowhere in Canada, I just don't bother. It's not that all fill stations are bad, it's that I don't use most of them often enough to know which are bad.

flots.

The neck crack was on an old tank. It wasn't mine, but "not catching it" would most likely have killed the fill station guy.

flots.

While neck cracks are a bad thing, I doubt if they are really that dangerous. Government safety regs say checking every 5 years is enough and, even at that, allows some cracks a couple of threads). The industry should probably be a lot more concerned with CO and other contaminants than with neck cracks. But that would cost shops money rather than make it, so....

Actually VIP is not an "industry standard" it is required by federal law..

If you're referring to the annual VIP that dives shops do, I'll believe it when you cite the specific federal law. While you're at it, cite the exact licensing requirements for the inspectors. Could it be that thousands of dive shops are breaking federal law?

Now if you're talking about the visual inspection part of the hydro test required every five years by licensed DOT facilities, fine, I'll go along with that.

on alum. hydros the dot inspt. stamps ve after the 5 year hydro date they don't put a random sticker on the tank

CGA Pub P-5 Paragraph 6.1 the Compressed Gas Association requires all cylinders
in SCUBA service to be visually inspected annually

Or the CGA police will lock you up???

I don't believe P-5 is endorsed by federal regulations as are P-6 and P-7.

2) You do not have business liability insurance to go after if one of your jobs goes sour.

VIP should state that on a particular date that a cylinder inspected and to be found in compliance. That does not mean that the day afterwards the cylinder was filled with some noxious offending material or the cylinder damaged in some other way. My point is not that one does need to have business liability insurance but that when it comes to VIP and an issue it would be a she said - he said cluster.

For a long time I too thought that CGA Pub 5 was referenced by the CFRs but it is not. Further, if one reads the title for P-5 "Suggestions for the Care of High Pressure Air Cylinders for Underwater Breathing" and notes that the first word is "suggestions" and not "requirements" it becomes clear that while it is a good idea it is not law but an industry standard.

why not do what the dot regulates and not impose our own. They do a great job in keeping us safe in the whole gas ind.

---------- Post added February 21st, 2013 at 03:20 AM ----------

VIPS ARE GREAT SHOULD BE A CHOICE NOT A IMPOSITION it protects your investment in your tank!

---------- Post added February 21st, 2013 at 03:32 AM ----------

Lets make it easy to dive

Back
Top Bottom