Geographical location really does effect price!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIteen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
As you know, I have been looking into getting my cert. Around these parts it costs the better part of $500 just for the course. Apparently thats rather high....

I was looking on PADI at the map, and looked the state over. $250... you have to buy more gear, and such, but that's a big difference!

Edit* Varies: $250, 275, 250, 500 (a bit of an outlier!), 300.

As long as you are looking, check out other agencies ( NAUI, SSI, ect.) as well. You might find a closer, less expensive, or an instructor you can learn from better. There are a number of threads on ScubaBoard that discuss how to pick a OW program/instructor, the stickies on the top of this forum (New Divers.....) by Walter, Jim Lapenta, and GDI are a start.

When you do a search for more threads about choosing an instructor, use Google because the search feature on the board has much to be desired.

Good Luck

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

As you know, I have been looking into getting my cert. Around these parts it costs the better part of $500 just for the course. Apparently thats rather high....

I was looking on PADI at the map, and looked the state over. $250... you have to buy more gear, and such, but that's a big difference!

Well, got to remember that cost of living in the Northeast is rather high, and as such, prices for goods/services are going to be higher in regards to that higher cost of living.

There's lots of factors that can vary a course price.

Some of them are regional/locations - business taxes, rent, utility charges, wages etc.

Some of them are operational;

- well paid, respected, experienced staff versus paying peanuts, or less to newly qualified instructors
- longer boat trips to reach better sites for the dives versus the nearest cruddiest site, or shore dive
- A fully equipped dive boat, adhering to applicable regulations versus ... well, not doing so.
etc etc etc

Other factors may include cost-offsetting - for instance, offering a lower course price, but recouping that loss through mandatory equipment sales... or a dive resort/hotel that offers cheap courses, knowing it'll make equitable profits through accommodation, food and drinks sales to those students.

I 'could' teach an OW course in two days... running all the training off the local beach in 2m viz looking only at turd-fish..and hitting only the minimum requirements for tuition...whilst taking a very liberal interpretation of the word 'mastery'. If I did so, I could reduce course costs by 2/3rds. I won't do that... my courses are upper-price range for my area... we go to the best sites, go well beyond the minimum standards in every respect and include a lot of extras. Everyone gets the time and attention they need... and the end results are well-trained, confident, competent divers.

Assuming that cost-offsetting balances out what you pay... then the main difference between course costs are determined by whether the price is varied by regional or operational savings. Regional savings are fair enough... if it's cheaper to travel, then go for it. Operational savings are often a wolf in sheep's clothing - make sure you're getting good quality and like-for-like amongst what is on offer...

Really not too high..Comes out to about $20. per hour. or less!
If you get quality instruction it is a bargain for a lifetime of diving.

Be sure to know all that what is included in the less expensive locations. Are books/dvd/rentals for ow training included? The less expensive class can easily cost more when all factors are considered.

FWIW, I did my O/W on a whim while in Jamaica. I was traveling solo getting away from it all and diving had really never been on my radar.

It was an AI resort including 2 tank dives and gear rental so really all I paid was $250 for the class. It took a few days to do all the book work, tests, pool work and dives but it really gave me something fun to do on that trip.

All the gear buying came later when I got hooked on local diving.

From start to finish at my LDS in Colorado open water is $420, including all materials and use of our equipment. We do not rush. If you need extra pool time before open waters, we provide it at no charge. We run specials, give boy scouts a discount, do couple and family deals and etc. I offer this for your comparison shopping.
DivemasterDennis

I'd be careful comparing prices like that and make sure you're getting equal comparisons. All the classes I found when I was looking for OW ended up being between $400-$500 once all the actual costs were added. I found the folks advertising $250 didn't include the OW dives as part of the tuition, or didn't include course materials, and stuff like that. I looked in Maryland, Viriginia, DC, and Arizona (because I was traveling there for work a lot).

Make sure you compare Apples to Apples.Not all courses are the same in terms of what is included in the initial costs such as books,rental Equipment both for the class pool work and check out dives,additional training if necesary,check out dives,etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom