Getting a 5mm wetsuit on without it taking forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MUFC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there anything I can put on my arms and legs like baby powder for eg so my recently purchased 5mm suit takes less time than the dives I intend to do to get it on?

Having eventually got it on at home im sure its the correct size, although of course very snug I can crouch down without passing out.

Thanks

I've heard of some folks who put baby shampoo (diluted) in a spray bottle. Spray the inside of the arms and legs for easier doning. Don't spray yourself while on a boat, makes the deck slippery for the other divers, gets on their gear, etc.

Actually, if the wetsuit fits properly, practice will make it easier.

You can use a mixture of liquid dish soap and water (mix ratio 1/2tsp to 4 oz. water )spry it on your arms and feet ,legs . this will allow the suit to slide over your skin ,not grip the skin . you can all so play with the mixture ratio to get the best slip resistant application. and as you dive the soap on the skin will dissipate. You can buy a small spray bottle and wall mart for a couple dollars . You can find them in the hair and cosmetic department. Some people use KY jell . this works real well but for me a little more money than I care to spend on that . Cheaper to make your own
and works just as well

It is what made my selection of wetsuits for me. I did the change room shuffle with some of these trying to get them on. My current one, I can get into within a min.

^^^^^^^ see post #5 above!

I've seen people use hair conditioner. Main and Tail conditioner that was designed for use on horses works well, it comes in a huge bottle, and it's cheap. At the end of the dive, your skin is silky and smooth and you smell good!

Here is how I do it:

Step 1: Turn both legs half way inside out (the ankle part will be inside the leg). Do the same for 1 arm.
Step 2: Carefully put your foot all the way through one of the ankles. Put your hands in the leg to help you do this.
Step 3: Pull the leg up as far as it will go.
Step 4: Repeat 2,3 for the other leg.
Step 5: Pull the weight suite up as far as it will easily go.
Step 6: Roll the wet suit down so that the top is inside out over the legs.
Step 7: Pull the wet suit up to your crotch.
Step 8: Roll the wet suit up all the way to your chest.
Step 9: Insert your one arm the same way you did your legs. Use your free arm to pull it on.
Step 10: Inch the other arm on (Conditioner helps with this).
Step 11: Do up the zipper

I'm a fan of conditioner and water! I just used a few squirts of whatever I have at home mixed with water in a spray bottle. Cheap and it slides right on!

Getting a wetsuit on dry is can be tough, I usually wet it down either by dunking it or pouring water in it first. I have a dive skin that I got along wit a used suit years ago and never used it. I might this fall when the wearher gets cold. If the water is chilly I pour warm water from home inside to keep from betting my man bits from getting a nasty start...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom