Getting back into lifting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
Okay... I want to resume my workout regimen, but how do I ease into it so that I'm not freakin' incapacitated by soreness, for the first couple of weeks?

If you're over 30 I don't think it's possible. I get sore THINKING about doing a different exercise. Just tough it out.

Update!

Week II: I'm lifting heavier, but not quite pushing it to muscle failure, yet. That'll come next week. Right now, every major muscle group is pretty darned sore. I'm running every evening, then lifting. I'm eating six times a day, primarily protein, avoiding sugar, soft drinks, and white flour, drinking lots of water, and getting 7-8 hours of sleep every night.

I have three workouts that I rotate through:

Workout I: Squats, hamstring curls, calf-raises, preacher curls, forearm curls.
Workout II: Flat bench press, inclined bench press, shoulder press, side laterals, abdominal crunches.
Workout III: Lat pulldowns, tricep pushdowns, seated row, deadlift, shrugs.

Rotating through this from Monday through Friday, it keeps any one muscle group from getting overtrained, and yet, it's a full-body workout. Each exercise is done in three sets, usually from a wide stance/grip, then medium on the second set, and then a narrow stance/grip on the last, hitting each muscle from different angles.

It's brutal, but very effective. :)

Frank... Your regimen sounds great.

We usually lift before aerobic activity. That way your muscles (and YOU) are fresh for the lifting part.

Michelle is ALWAYS on my case about lifting slowly and having the PROPER form... like with curls... count 4 down, and 4 up. Stand against a wall, so you isolate the bicep when you're doing curls. More weight isn't always the fastest way to increased mass... She always says that if you're NOT focusing on form, you may as well not lift, because it isn't going to do anything for you then.

Yep. I pay strict attention to form. I do each rep as quickly as I can, (with good form) pausing at the top of each one for just a second, and focusing on the muscle that I'm working.

As far as lifting heavy, I lift as heavy as I can, as long as I hit muscle failure by the 12th rep. If I don't, then I know it's time to increase the weight.

I do this for six weeks, and then I take two weeks and lift very light, as well as backing off on the amount of calories that I'm taking in. This way, my growth doesn't plateau. The body can adapt to anything, so we constantly have to "trick" it. Periodizing the workouts is one way to do this.

Hey Fish, looks like you have a great routine going. Diet looks good too.
But if that gets boring try the workouts at http://www.crossfit.com/, my other favorite site (although I haven't posted there in a while).
Crossfit is definately hardcore, but it definately works, and it works fast. Plus they really are a great bunch of people.
There is a lot of emphasis on core conditioning.
Just if you mention "arm curls", you'll probably get razzed a little. That's normal though. A lot of those folks came from a bodybuilding background, and are always amazed at what they learn. I was. Still am. Lot's of professionals hang there. Cops, firemen, Seals, specops etc.

Go here and download their free issue of their monthly journal: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-fitness.html.
You don't really have to buy the journal subscription to gain a lot of the benefit, but it IS worth every penny IMO.

Giggi:
I guess some of us "hot babes" have never really been impressed by how much weight someone stacks up.

I agree. Especially when the idiots drop them and make a bunch of noise.

My, I got tired just reading that. I had been away from the gym for about a month because of various illnesses and injuries. It's funny because when I started back, I also took it pretty easy the first week. It was the second week that killed me.

I don't care how much weight I can bench or lift. It's never been a bragging point for me. What I care about is intensity and hitting muscle failure. If I can get down to the basement, put in my workout, and be done with it in less than an hour, and I know I've given my workout 100%, then I'm happy. The only results I care about are the ones I feel, and the ones I see in the mirror. :)

INTENSITY! 100%! Less than an hour!
Yep, you're there dude!
You will love Crossfit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom