Getting back into lifting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My triceps hurt from a workout on Tuesday. the trainer who teaches the fitball class will be happy. He always gets insulted if I tell him I'm not sore after one of his classes. He thinks he's gonna make my abs sore. No way. I take Pilates. :D

Nawww... Soreness is not an indication of whether you got a good workout or not. If you're hitting the workout with intensity and going to muscle failure, you're golden. This is what gives the muscles the signal, "Hey! We're not strong enough to do the work that's being demanded, so we need to GROW!" :)

I've changed things up: I'm waking up at 5:00 a.m. and putting in a 20-30 minute run, and then going home at 4:00 p.m. and putting my workout. This seems to be a better system, even if it lands me in bed, snoring, by 9:00 p.m!

I came across the following 10 Commandments of Bodybuilding, and from everything I've read over the years, these do seem to be constant truths:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dean12.htm

Fish_Whisperer:
I've changed things up: I'm waking up at 5:00 a.m. and putting in a 20-30 minute run, and then going home at 4:00 p.m. and putting my workout. This seems to be a better system, even if it lands me in bed, snoring, by 9:00 p.m!

I came across the following 10 Commandments of Bodybuilding, and from everything I've read over the years, these do seem to be constant truths:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dean12.htm

Referencing commandment #1 ... deadlifts and squats are two of the best overall exercises

Referencing commandment #2 ... overtraining is a "newbie mistake" only because their muscles are not accustomed to the stresses. Once their initial soreness goes away the typical newbie is not willing to work hard enough to overtrain. Why? "Because it hurts".

Referencing commandment #4 ... there are two necessary additions: don't lift more than you can handle (it's not funny, well it kinda is, to watch someone half kill themselves trying to impress everyone) and put the equipment (plates, etc.) back when you are finished.

Green_Manelishi:
Referencing commandment #1 ... deadlifts and squats are two of the best overall exercises

Yep. Building mass without doing squats is like trying to suck jello through a straw. You MIGHT gain a little, but the end result just isn't worth it.

Referencing commandment #2 ... overtraining is a "newbie mistake" only because their muscles are not accustomed to the stresses. Once their initial soreness goes away the typical newbie is not willing to work hard enough to overtrain. Why? "Because it hurts".

It's all about intensity and pushing it to the point of muscle failure. Anything less is just wasting time and and working MORE, rather than working more EFFICIENTLY, and actually, working against yourself in the long run.

Referencing commandment #4 ... there are two necessary additions: don't lift more than you can handle (it's not funny, well it kinda is, to watch someone half kill themselves trying to impress everyone) and put the equipment (plates, etc.) back when you are finished.

Ha ha... I've seen guys like this.

I don't care about the weight, because each time I work out, the weight goes up a little more, until I can hit muscle failure between 6-8 reps. Trying to start out ultra-heavy (not having any prior experience or some kind of benchmark) and then backing it down, is a pretty quick way to getting injured. Most of these guys that do this are the ones that try doing this without a spotter too, and then someone either has to run over and rescue them, or else they dump all of the weights off of one side of the bar, and then off of the other, announcing to everyone in the gym, just what a kook/poseur/dumbazz they are.

(Very grateful for having my own weight room) LOL

Fish_Whisperer:
Yep. Building mass without doing squats is like trying to suck jello through a straw. You MIGHT gain a little, but the end result just isn't worth it.

It's all about intensity and pushing it to the point of muscle failure. Anything less is just wasting time and and working MORE, rather than working more EFFICIENTLY, and actually, working against yourself in the long run.

Ha ha... I've seen guys like this.

I don't care about the weight, because each time I work out, the weight goes up a little more, until I can hit muscle failure between 6-8 reps Trying to start out ultra-heavy (not having any prior experience or some kind of benchmark) and then backing it down, is a pretty quick way to getting injured. Most of these guys that do this are the ones that try doing this without a spotter too, and then someone either has to run over and rescue them, or else they dump all of the weights off of one side of the bar, and then off of the other, announcing to everyone in the gym, just what a kook/poseur/dumbazz they are.

(Very grateful for having my own weight room) LOL

Many are unwilling to push themselves to failure. When I was tuff, ruff and buff (which was long before I injured my neck) my workout partner and I did 2 sets of each exercise, with max weight that we could 5-8 on our own, 2 forced, 2 negatives. We were "animals". Gosh I miss those days ....

http://www.dorianyates.net

Basic core exercises are good. However, don't neglect trying new exercises that help expose areas of weakness. We change routines about every 3 months. Many of the basics repeat but new ones are always added. I think it helps keep your routine from getting stale also.

I'm a big fan of negative reps. Not necessarily loading up heavy weight and just doing negatives, but instead, taking longer on the drop then the rise. I see squatters bounce and others drop the weight just to struggle to get it back up. When we hit a progress wall we focus on the negative. It always seems to help us move on. Think about gymnasts and all the negatives they do for an example. Could they do the iron cross without focusing on the negative?

I guess it depends on your goals though. I want endurance over strength over mass. My friend (a bodybuilder) wants mass and definition over endurance and strength. So, our routines vary somewhat in intensity.

My overall goals are to help balance my joints and body for better performance while running, cycling, etc...plus injury prevention.

Have fun....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom