Getting DSLR and looking at OLYMPUS EVOLT E-330 - Comments please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not an Oly lens maven, but in general an 18-180mm would not be the best choice for UW as it is a zoom telephoto and has really too large a range for UW, IMHO. Telephotos don't work because you're too far away from the subject and putting too much water between you and it. Great for a walking around lens though.

Figuring out ports and lenses is hard, especially in a camera so new. I would say our standard port should accommodate 30-60mm & macro lenses or so, our long port the macro 105mm, and the dome port wider lenses down to 15-11mm (short focal length might be better with a diopter). But we also have an extension ring to lengthen the barrel for longer lenses. It's quite possible that the long port with an extension ring would accommodate the 18-180, but I don't know why you'd want to use it UW.

Jack

Yes, you can use the Ike strobe, Ike sells a Ike to Nikonos cord.

But the Inon 240z might be a better option. I like their strobes for fantastic reliability, power and small size. But S&S strobes will work and many others with Nikonos 5 pin cords.

Jack

I'm really tempted to sell my E500, couple it with insurance money from my flooded C5060 and pick up a E330... then a housing down the road.

jackconnick:
Well it comes with the standard lens port. Will work with your 50mm ok, I think, (send me a link to specs). There is a 5" dome port (I sell it for $295), ok for the 11-22mm, but I doubt it will work with the 8mm. For that, you'd want the Athena, for the Oly case, very nice, but $$. There is also a longer port for a 100mm and extension rings.

What are you doing for strobes and arms?

Jack

I'm using the Zuiko Digital 50mm Macro, specs can be found at http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sys_lens_50mm20.asp

Would the same port work with the 14-54mm? I ditched the 14-45 awhile back because it wasn't weather resistant nor as fast as the 14-54mm. What about the 35mm?

Specs on the 14-54mm
http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sys_lens_14mm.asp

Specs on the 35mm Macro
http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sys_lens_35mm.asp

I didn't have any strobes on my C5060 before she flooded out, ambient light was my friend... and enemy.

dvleemin:
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the comments.

The initial lense I was considering getting was the Zuiko Digital 18-180mm. I figure as the default lens its a big improvement over the Zuiko Digital 14-45mm.
What do you guys think of this lens?

The 14-45 is the basic kit lense, atleast in America. Its decent, not too fast, not weatherproof, basically no frills but takes good images if you got a clean copy. The 18-180 will sacrifice in image quality with a bit of distortion at the really long and really short ends of the lense due to its extreme range. Makes for a great lightweight walk-around lense though.

dvleemin:
fantasea, can I use an Ikelite strobe?

Doing some more research, it looks like you have to match a port to the EXACT lens you're going to use - is that correct? And looking at the Oly, the only lens supported are the following:
(14-45mm)
(11-22mm, 14-54mm)
(50mm Macro)
(7-14mm)

Darryl

The 8mm Fisheye will also fit the Olympus housing with the big dome port(same for the 7-14 I believe).

They're really not as bad as I expected. You can get the Oly housing and a couple of ports for about $1700. If you go Ikelite, it's still under $2K. Calypsonick has some nice shots posted from his new one.

dvleemin:
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the comments.

The initial lense I was considering getting was the Zuiko Digital 18-180mm. I figure as the default lens its a big improvement over the Zuiko Digital 14-45mm.
What do you guys think of this lens?

I have some questions about how housings work with all these lenses though. How do I know what housings can handle what lenses? I want to make sure that the housing I buy will be able to handle whatever lenses I want to buy in the future.

Thanks,

Darryl

The kit lenses are OK, but I highly recommend the 14-54 lens.. It is a great lens and out performs lenses that cost several times what oly is selling it for.. There was a comparison last year against a $1200 nikon lens that it beat straight across the board..

padiscubapro:
The kit lenses are OK, but I highly recommend the 14-54 lens.. It is a great lens and out performs lenses that cost several times what oly is selling it for.. There was a comparison last year against a $1200 nikon lens that it beat straight across the board..

...and that can be said for most of the Pro level lenses in the Oly range :wink:

14-54 is out of stock in alot of places, its quite popular. I believe 17photo.com has em instock though.

Thanks,
Its too bad that you can't seem to get the 330 as a package deal with the 14-54. Essentially all they're doing is taking the 330 body, and adding the lens. So you end up paying a lot more than just the difference in cost between the 14-45 and 14-54 lenses . .

Darryl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom