Getting DSLR and looking at OLYMPUS EVOLT E-330 - Comments please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about ryan@reefphoto.com - he can let you know about complete set ups and about your options. Often it might look like something is out of stock, but then becomes available pretty quickly. I'd talk to the source :wink:

I'm going to check with Fantasea regards the 14-54. They've been at Photokina so it might take a couple of days.

The Oly case does come with a fairly long standard port. For sure, the 35 & 50mm will fit it. The 14-54 might take the long port, or an extension ring is all. My price for the long port is $170, msrp $200.

We have a housing for the Oly Speedlight, or the Nikon for that matter. With 5 pin standard sync, there's lots of strobes that will work with it.

If you shoot mostly available light, I would highly recommend Alex Mustard's Auto Magic Filter, it filters the colors out and now has automatic white balancing. It's only about $40 and will make an incredible difference for available light photography. They are coming out with a green water version (won't auto correct white balance though) this month.

Jack

How about ryan@reefphoto.com - he can let you know about complete set ups and about your options. Often it might look like something is out of stock, but then becomes available pretty quickly. I'd talk to the source

Thanks.

Initially I'm just going to get the camera, as I won't be diving till the next year. I just want to make sure I get the right camera (and lenses) . . .

Darryl

I may have a buyer for my E500, inwhich case, I'll buy the E330... Damnit - so much money!

If you have legacy Zuiko lenses from OM series 35mm film cameras, there is an adapter which will let one use those lenses with the E-volt series cameras.

It's PN:MF-1 OM Adapter (OM to 4/3 Lens Adapter)

This won't provide full automatic functionality, but could really extend your telephoto reach with the magnification factor.

I am confused, doesn't the E330 only have a 7.5 MP while the E500 has 8.0 MP? Other than that they look fairly identical, why would you trade down to the E330?

Mike

Another question, don't the E500, E300, E330 all fit into the PT-E02 housing?

Mike

mikerault:
I am confused, doesn't the E330 only have a 7.5 MP while the E500 has 8.0 MP? Other than that they look fairly identical, why would you trade down to the E330?

Mike

Yes, E330 has 7.5mp and the E500 has 8mp. They both use different sensors. The E330 has the LiveView LCD for composing(a first for dSLRs). Aside from those differences, they are pretty much identical.

There is no practical difference between 7.5 and 8mps. Do NOT fall for the megapixel race... I used my E1(5mp) camera far more than the E500(8mp). Megapixels do not denote image quality. Often, infact, more megapixels will end up in reduced per pixel sharpness.

I didn't trade down, I traded equilaterally, for the LiveView which is incredibly usefull for UW photography.

mikerault:
Another question, don't the E500, E300, E330 all fit into the PT-E02 housing?

Mike

Nope. While the E300 has an Olympus UW housing, the E330 uses a different housing. The E1 and E500 are not supported by Olympus with an UW housing. Ikelite houses both the E500 and E1, as well as the E330(not sure about the E300). All the Olympus housings, will of course, share the same UW ports, ect.

A little update, I did infact order the E330 :) Hopefully, by early 2007, I'll have one of the 10bar/Fantasea housings for it.

I don't own or shoot this camera, but I do put a lot of stock in Phil's reviews.

You can read the conclusion HERE

Basically Live view seems rather pointed at those that are not used to using SLR's, but come for the LCD digital. My opinion is that one can not tell what is in focus for many shots using the LCD. I can not tell with 100% accuracy if a photo is at critical sharness using the huge zoom feature on my LCD after the fact. The up side is the camera is doing the focusing, in auto mode, so that should help to ensure that the image is in focus.

I would suggest to those that don't use an SLR, try one before thinking that LCD is the end all for viewing subjects while shooting. I'm betting that for critical macro work the Live LCD is going to be difficut to use especially in manual focus mode.

Actually, if you read comments from people who actually use the camera regularly. The LCD is especially helpfull in macro photography. LCDs are much sharper and larger than they were 2 years ago. Phil's comments even regard the LiveView as usefull with Macro.

Phil has some pretty good reviews, but he can be inconsistant and alot of what he bases his conclusions on is the result of his opinion without any factual basis. The camera exports images pretty much identical(slightly less noisy actually) to the E500 that Phil recommends over the E330. Why? Price, which has gone down, and what he thinks is poor implementation of the LiveView - which has no bearing in an underwater housing anyway :wink:

Back
Top Bottom