Getting gear from car to dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biodiversity_guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With all the weight of our gear and tanks, hauling it by hand from the truck/parking area over to the actual dive site seems a bit challenging at times, or at least takes several trips. After a dive, once we are tired, the challenge getting the gear back to the car seems a bit greater still.

Does anyone have experience using a collapsible wheelbarrow or hand truck or something similar to put the tanks into, to minimize the backstrain/fatigue (sorry, just not as young as I use to be).

I googled collapsible wheelbarrow and saw this. Any other thoughts or experiences with this you could share?

http://www.asktooltalk.com/home/reviews/garden/wheel-easy.htm

Bio,
I can understand your trials and tribulations.

Needless to say, tanks are the worst!!

To carry tanks over a long distance, I fashioned something out of plywood that is similar to a portage yoke found in canoes. I drilled a hole in each end, put some nylon line through it (3/8"), tied a bowline on the end of each.

I simply slip it over the valves and off I go.

Must say, reminds me of the little old ladies I saw in Viet Nam carrying their wares to market.

the K

The Kraken:
To carry tanks over a long distance, I fashioned something out of plywood that is similar to a portage yoke found in canoes. I drilled a hole in each end, put some nylon line through it (3/8"), tied a bowline on the end of each.

I simply slip it over the valves and off I go.

Must say, reminds me of the little old ladies I saw in Viet Nam carrying their wares to market.
Wouldn't happen to have a photo of that contraption, would you? (Your tank carrier, I mean, not the little old ladies...)

When diving a single tank I've found the easiest solution by far is to simply gear up at the car and walk to the entry point. My Seaquest ProQD BCD fits nicely and is the easiest way to carry the tank.

I even put my mask in place, and the only things I have to carry in my hands are the fins and camera.

Why make things complicated, unless you are using things like a scooter, or doubles that are so heavy that you have trouble walking with them.

We usually gear up at the car and walk to the water ready to go. It does get easier with experience and you need to take steps to avoid thermal stress, like a liter of cool/ambient water down the collar before hiking.

There are some state parks we go to where the distance is long and we have the delight of waterfront picnic tables. When we go there I use a comon hand-truck and a cargo strap to move the cylinders, totes and gear bags. We also use the hand-truck to swap tanks from the van during the SI.

One downside is that unless there are folks doing shore duty you may have unattended property out there.

I did pick up a few wheel barrow wheels and may fabricate a dedicated dive cart this winter.

Pete

I too gear up at the car and simply walk to the water most often.

Sometimes though, if I'll be in the same spot all day and diving multiple times (like a local Scubaboard dive/BBQ gathering (a Wrinkles Dive here in sunny SoCal)) I will bring everything to the area we've layed claim to.

The cheapest, easiest way I've found to do that is with a large Rubbermaid container, a folding hand/luggage cart and some hooked bungie cords. These can all be found at Target for under $40 altogether.

If I take it easy on the walk I can even lay a couple towels and my HP119 across the top and secure them with another bungie cord. The cheap cart is just barely up to the task and if I am in too big a rush everything can topple, sending me scrambling. But I try to never be in that big a rush when getting to a dive site anyway...

The Rubbermaid is also perfect for transporting wet gear in a dry car, through my apartment to the rinse station/shower and even the occasional Mirazyme soak.

The cart (with a couple bungies) is also perfect for walking the tank to the nearest fill station. Here's a link to its page at the Target website cheapo cart. The website also shows a couple nicer ones I might've gotten if they'd had them at the store when I was there. For now though the one I've got is (just this side of) up to the task.

Good luck,

Adam

I purchased a folding milk crate on wheels type item in Big Lots. It is about the size of a milk crate with wheels and an extendable handle similar to the type on luggage and folds flat in the trunk of my car.

this holds 80 lbs and I put my tank in it and bungee it to the handles and place all other items all around it and can fit everyting but my bc in it in one trip. That I throw over my shoulder

It goes fairly well over grass, hard dirt and light to medium gravel. Only complaint is that the wheels are small so not good for sand or mud.

Did see another diver with a large Tupperware type container on wheels like a wagon and there was a molded section in it to put a tank and pull along behind you like a wagon. Seemed too large to put in car though, have to have a truck for it

I generally wear my gear from the car to the water, but in cases of an excessively long hike, probably a good hand truck (like movers use) would work well, especially in combination with a rubbermaid bin. The ones with big wheels should handle pretty much any terrain you're likely to find.

The collapsable wheelbarrow linked above looks pretty slick, too. A bike chain and a handy tree should suffice for keeping it in place, awaiting your return, although a shore person is better.

A great option (mentioned above, I think this is what surelyshirley was talking about), if harder to secure while left alone, is the Dive Box from the California Diving Company.

See: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUTDB.html and http://californiadivingcompany.com/divebox/index.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom