Getting harness threaded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvrle1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I purchased new BP/W rig and need to get harness threaded. This is something I never done before so have question(s) for you.

I saw websites and such with instructions on how to do it, but how hard/easy is it really to do properly? Would you recommend for someone that has never done this before to attempt it, or should I find someone that knows what they are doing to do it for me (and pay)?

It doesnt sound that hard, but I am worried that i will not do it properly and it may be too loose or too tight

Thanks for the help :)

It's easy. Follow the directions on this DIR-diver.com webpage. There are very explicit instructions on how to "weave" the harness and how to ensure that the harness is adjusted properly. The pictures show a guy dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. After you have your BP/W weaved/adjusted, I recommend doing a full-dress (in wetsuit/drysuit) test fitting at home before taking the gear for a dive. A thick wetsuit/drysuit can add a significant amount of bulk. It's easier to make adjustments at home without eager dive buddies pushing you to get into the water as quickly as possible. :)

Understand that it may take a handful of dives to optimize the fit of your harness. Do a dive. Determine if it's too tight or too loose. Adjust. Do another dive, etc. As time goes on, the adjustments should be getting smaller and smaller.

It can be helpful to have an experienced diver assist you with the fitting process. Somehow I made things work without any help. YMMV. :D

Good luck.

Just tread the thing. It's not hard and there isn't anything to screw up if you do it wrong (just don't cut anything yet!). And it will be too lose or too tight. Adjust and move on. Even if you pay someone else to do it, once you dive it a few times it'll stretch and you'll have to adjust it anyway. Follow the directions, search for posts about fitting and go diving. The worst thing that will happen is you'll have a tank that slides to one side or the other and drives you nuts for a dive.

The only tricky part is figuring out which way the webbing goes into the waist slot.

Done yet? If so, then your shoulders are too tight and your crotch strap is too loose (everybody does that).

It took me a good 10-15 dives to get mine settled in. And I just changed out the webbing for new and I have to start over again...

Good luck!

I did it myself, using the video from the scubatoys guys, and paused it when I needed to. I also had a 3.5 year old and a nearly 2 year old puttering around me when I did it..... do it once and you get it, and you can always take it in/out very easily after a dive. So simple I can do it!

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I shall give it a shot. I dont have any 3.5 year olds running around but I do have a hyper dog that needs to see and smell everything new so it averages out I suppose :p

It's not hard to get it threaded correctly, and to get the fit close to right. You most likely won't hit the bullseye on the first time. I didn't get my harness perfectly adjusted until about three years later, when Bob Sherwood helped me do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom