Question Getting into Sidemount Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jlukescuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone! I am looking to get into sidemount diving this year and am currently on the hunt for bcd's and regulators. So far, I am looking at the Dive Rite Nomad LS and the X Deep Stealth 2.0 for bcd's and the Dive Rite XT sidemount regulator. Any thoughts and suggestions on the products I am looking and not looking at? Thanks

Are you going to be diving steels or AL80s?

The DR regs are great. Can’t go wrong with them.

have you dived both yet? do you plan to get into cave diving with large steel tanks? if so consider the xdeep tec. if you really want the nomad, look for a used one. their resale is low so you can save a lot going that route.

As Marie13 and runsongas have already brought up, you need to provide more information about what you are planning/hoping to do. More info allows people to give better advice.

I will say this from the advice side. Read people's comments but remember that most everyone is going to suggest what works best for them and what they prefer. There will be a variety that should indicate that what works best is not simple. I am sure all recommendations will be for gear that is quality and has a proven history.

Because of this try and find an Instructor, and/or a Shop, that has a rental option. You need to figure out what works best for you and trying multiple options is the best way to do that. Finally, please get an Instructor if you were not already planning on it. 100's of dives create a bank of knowledge on how to tweak/adjust/set up Sidemount gear that makes the process so much nicer and more fun.

Edited to add: I use a XDeep Stealth, Apeks XTX50's, and both AL80 & LP85 depending on gear and water temps.

The DR Nomad LS is for AL80s. The DR Nomad XT is for steels. The Nomad XT has sort of fallen out of fashion with the XDeep being the in thing, but the Nomad XT is very comfortable. I dive LP85s/LP50s with the Nomad XT.

I plan on mostly using aluminum 80's for open water. I have no plans on getting into cave diving at the moment. Looking to get sidemount certified and tec sidemount certified that way I can go into tec 40 with sidemount.

So based on what I am reading, the X Deep Tec is more versatile and has the ability to be used with al80's and steel 80's? As I said above, I am looking to go up to Tec 50 and stop there for the moment. I would like to get into light cave diving at some point but not for a couple of years. Just want to get a lot of time in on sidemount! The thing is the shop that I will be going to for the certification requires the gear so I don't want to get something that works for now but not in the long run. Thanks for the help!

Your profile states you live in Florida. Therefore your best option would be to get your sidemount training in cave country. Sidemount was originally designed for only two purposes. 1: mission specific as in tight caves. 2: personal lifestyle as in your back and knees can’t carry around twin backmount 120s. Your choice. But any north Florida shop or instructor is better than a recreational shop.

You are missing the Hollis Katana 2. From what I've been reading on social media, it does have an edge over the XDeep Stealth Tec 2.0.
Now if you are really gung ho on the XDeep Stealth Tec 2.0 and you want the RB version, I'll sell you mind and I'll go buy a Katana 2.

Hey everyone! I am looking to get into sidemount diving this year and am currently on the hunt for bcd's and regulators. So far, I am looking at the Dive Rite Nomad LS and the X Deep Stealth 2.0 for bcd's and the Dive Rite XT sidemount regulator. Any thoughts and suggestions on the products I am looking and not looking at? Thanks

Where in Florida are you? You need to get with @LandonL down at Aqui Watersports. He will have the xDeep and Hollis Katana 2 in stock, but can also directly support the Deep6 Signatures which are an epic regulator set. Ryan is the other owner of Aqui and you can't beat the two of them for sidemount instruction either. If you're down in the Lauderdale area you need to go there. If not, go to Cave Adventurers. Either place is worth the drive if you want to sidemount properly and both are fully stocked dealers where you can look at all of the gear you're after in person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom