Getting rid of plastic stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Mares V-16 Proton XL first stage like this one:

MRSV16PR.jpg

....and I'm wondering if I can cut the plastic cover off and have a perfectly fine, workable reg when I'm done.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

bk

I have a Mares V-16 Proton XL first stage like this one:

MRSV16PR.jpg

....and I'm wondering if I can cut the plastic cover off and have a perfectly fine, workable reg when I'm done.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

bk

You can, but it will have an odd look to the first stage. Is your polymer cover in poor shape?

Greg

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, it's in pretty poor shape, plus it's a a salt trap and the reg looks a bit alien with it. If I removed both the cover and the black "dome" (other piece w/Mares logo), wouldn't it look like a pretty common first stage? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, it's in pretty poor shape, plus it's a a salt trap and the reg looks a bit alien with it. If I removed both the cover and the black "dome" (other piece w/Mares logo), wouldn't it look like a pretty common first stage? Or am I missing something?

The bottom portion where the HP valve assembly is located (hex head bolt), is a tapered cylinderical shape. The top, hemispherical shaped cover snaps onto the retaining nut.

You can remove the hoses, and then the protection cover will slide off toward the bottom. The top cover is easier to remove if you run some very warm tap water over the cover for a minute or two.

I suggest removing the covers rather than cutting them off. That way, you can put them back on if you don't care for the looks of the unit.

I am a big fan of the MR/V16 first stage, and have been for several years. I use two of them on my cave/tech diving doubles, and one on my warm water single hose rig. They have great hose routing, and are very easy to service.

Feel free to PM me if you have any problems.

Greg

Thanks Greg!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom