Getting started with rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I plan to do a try rebreather course next month in the BVI. What would be the next step to get into rebreathers? Are they worth the added cost to buy and maintain?

Are you doing an actual course or just some try dives? I would not recommend doing a course without a lot more research. Rebreather courses are very specific. Courses are unit based. Getting a certification on a Meg doesn't mean you'll be able to just go out and buy a KISS. You would need to complete a crossover course on the KISS.

Rebreathers have their place but they are just another tool in the bag. Most will get a rebreather for dives to the deeper depths, meaning beyond recreational. Some will get them for the advantage of not scaring away the critters. Some will get them because they're air hogs. Will you ever break even after buying a rebreather? Most of the time the answer is no. You will not save on fills unless you are possibly doing a lot of trimix dives. Most rebreathers will run you close to $10,000. There are some rebreathers coming out on the market now that are much less. I just bought the new KISS Spirit LTE (retails for $4300) and comes ready to dive once you add a cylinder and display/computer.

Get us more information and we'll be better able to answer your questions.

Rob has given you some great information. Definitely do a "try dive" on one first. I know a friend that bought a Poseidon, went through the training & then decided he didn't want to fuss with all the day to day/ dive to dive maintenance on it & is now trying to sell it. As Rob mentioned,.. though many rebreathers work very similarly to each other in the basic design, there are nuances in each model that warrants training on each unit. Don't be in a huge hurry,... do the "try dives".... in fact maybe do some "try dives" on a few different units & make sure you will like it before you invest a huge chunk of change in one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom