Getting to Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This has probably been explained before,but I have done a little searching and could not find a easy explanation. After arriving at the Belize airport, do you then make arrangements to fly over to Ambergris Caye, or do you make reservations at the same time that you book the whole trip. And which of these airlines is the most reliable? Also do most of the resorts have airport transfers.
Thanks

You can usually make the reservation for the connecting flight with the people you book the resort and diving with. There are two airlines that fly over to Ambergris Caye, Tropic Air and Mayan Air, they both have web sites where you can book it yourself directly if you prefer. If you are not sure as to how much time you need between flights, you could tell them when your arrival flight is and they will recommend the time for the connection.

Airport transfers are usually included in the resort package but it is good to check when booking. Keep the transfers in mind when comparing prices. One company might be less expensive because they do not include the transfers. I have found both airlines to be reliable but you will find some people will swear by (or at) one or the other.

Belize Underwater Photos by Scuba One

To add to Randy's comments...you also need to find out about how you get from the San Pedro airstrip to your hotel/resort. Some of the resorts further north will send a pick up boat to pick you up from a dock that is about one block from the airstrip. Some hotels closer to San Pedro will pick you up in golf carts/vans and, if they don't, taxi fares to closer ones are reasonable.

I have used both Mayan and Tropic and they are very similar and it probably is a coin flip. Both use Cessna Caravans for most of their flights (although the last one on Mayan was in a smaller 7 seater) and both have good safety records and pricing is identical.

Flights leave Belize City for San Pedro several times a day (and maybe as often as every 45 minutes or so) so you shouldn't waste too much time waiting to get to your destination. Also, the flight from Belize City to San Pedro is like 20 minutes...and packed with beautiful scenery!

You can have your resort book the flights for you on either airline or go directly to there website.
Maya island offers a cash discount on most days except on Saturdays.
you can make the reservations at each counter when you arrive. Both are very flexable.

If you have prebooked your internal flight and your international flight arrives late, Tropic at any rate will bend over backwards to get you out to San Pedro. I think my record was landing in San Pedro at 8:30pm after my international flight had been seriously delayed, yet Tropic held back a plane for the people they knew about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom