getting to Cozumel with bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are going to Cozumel in March, but flying into Cancun and doing the bag drag. To fly direct into Cozumel from Boise, ID it was $150 more per person and an overnight hotel each way. This information has been very helpful. We like adventure on our dive trips, but not danger. So my wife had concerns about the bag drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I are going to Cozumel in March, but flying into Cancun and doing the bag drag. To fly direct into Cozumel from Boise, ID it was $150 more per person and an overnight hotel each way. This information has been very helpful. We like adventure on our dive trips, but not danger. So my wife had concerns about the bag drag.

It really is no more a bag drag than walking in from your departure parking lot. There are plenty of places to have porters help you. The process is easy and well-documented by an intelligent, awesome, friendly, humorous, sexy guy from Colorado

www.tinyurl.com/7m3r6

WestJet offers non stop direct flights from Toronto(YYZ) to Cozumel(CZM) twice weekly. Wednesday and Saturday departing YYZ approx 1030 and departing CZM approx 1430. You'll get the best rates on bags in the business due to your status. Other than that if you have to fly into Cancun (CUN) and you're looking for easy then the answer is to wave a $50 at a cab driver and get him to take you to the Playa ferry. That's as easy as it gets. Buses are also easy, lots cheaper but not as easy.

Last edited:
You may not be able to wave a $50 at a taxi driver and get him to take you to the ferry. I cannot verify that but it is probable.

The bus is easy.

Awesome information! What should we expect for taxi service when we arrive in Cozumel?

Awesome information! What should we expect for taxi service when we arrive in Cozumel?

No private cabs at the airport unless you walk away from the airport and even then taxis are not allowed to pick you up for something like 1/2 k (but most will anyway)
You will get a shared shuttle service to the various hotels from the airport though.

Since you are flying into Cancun then taking the ferry from PDC it Coz, you'll arrive on a front street dock in town with cabs lined up. Agree on the fare before you board, then enjoy your private cab to wherever.

Expected taxi rates can be seen at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...ators-restaurants-taxis-more.html#post6778382

Getting back to Cancun airport to fly out can be a challenge if you have an early plane.

I do the bag drag all the time and it is no big deal. The ADO bus is nice (and cheap), the ferry ride is great if you are outside and the "band" is playing. I used to keep my dive gear in a large duffle bag. The ferry guys would always give me a hard time about checking dive gear. Since I have switched to a large roller suitcase I have never had a problem.

Yellow Transfers seems to be the "taxi" option at Terminal 3 in Cancun and charges around $72 to Playa del Carmen for up to four people.

Ugh. I was just in Cancun Friday morning at 0800 trying to get to Cozumel. It turns out that the ADO windows was closed and the earliest bus wasn't until 0915 according to their website. I'd been hoping to get to the ferry by 9. There were no actual taxis around, but Yellow Transfers offered to get my wife and me there for USD$100 (or 1000 pesos when it turned out we didn't have dollars with us) but for some reason claimed there was no way they could get us to the Playa del Carmen ferry in an hour. I think they were holding out for me to offer them a bonus if they could do it. Even pointing out that the bus doesn't take a full hour and that I've driven it myself several times didn't sway them.

We eventually got there with a private shuttle that was just sitting there. He asked for the same 1000 pesos so I went online to his website and arranged it for USD$60 to be paid as 850 pesos. I still think that was too much.

The upshot is that if you're arriving at an odd time, it's probably best to have transportation arranged ahead of time and not to assume that the bus runs as early as flights arrive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom