Ghetto Lift Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They will work for small items but it is hard to judge whether they will fail (burst/tear) once inflated.

Any form of salvage carries a certain risk. Wether or not it would work is irrelevant. Mythbusters salvaged a boat with ping pong balls, doesn't mean it was a good idea. When ever lifting anything off bottom you must maintain control of the item (in most cases...) Trash bags have no dump valve and no way of adjusting pressure after lift off. A properly weighted diver could not control a garbage bag full of air underwater. I once launched a 2000lb lift bag 150' in the air from a starting point of 80' deep after the cheap made in china 2.5ton shackle broke and loosed the chain attached to the bag. My point is, be careful. Best laid plan don't always work even when done to the standard. Reducing that standard can only increase your risk. A lift bag the size a garbage bag with a dump valve say 50lbs should cost you around 75.00

A 5 gallon bucket can work, you just tip it to the side to vent air on ascent. i wouldn't want to lift anything too heavy or too valuable..

I have done it many times..

Place the trash bag inside a net game bag to contain the trash bag...... it will work..

Before commerical bags were produced I used lister bags, WW1 & WW11 USN White duffle bags (US Army OD bags tended to leak) and WW11 & Korea War water purfication bags and a vareity of other non descript bags-- all worked well.

For big object used 55 gallon lift bags

Any bag that is water proof and can be attatched to an object can be used as a lift bag

Good luck,

sdm

A 5 gallon bucket can work, you just tip it to the side to vent air on ascent. i wouldn't want to lift anything too heavy or too valuable..

I have removed the dump valves on my lift bags and sealed them up. I can tell you for a fact that it is not an easy task to tip it to the side for venting and keep good control. It is difficult to control the amount that is being dumped this way.

What's your rigging and how much are you carrying? I doubt a 50lbs object connected with ropes (even if woven through the trash bag) would hold properly for a second. The bag would rip at the connections.

You have to remember, the rigging all needs to match the load capacity of the bag. A chain is always as strong as its weakest link.

For small objects, even more ghetto is "tee-shirt" plastic grocery bags. Put one inside another for added strength. The handles are convenient tie points. Watch for holes in the bottoms, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom