gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankenmuth_tom:
...there is plenty to do at Gilboa without going over the edge to the deep side. With airplanes and boats and busses and cars to explore, tubes to swim through, a sunken forest (which is VERY entertaining when the vis goes away...but that's a story for around the fire...) to explore and plenty of folks around to show you the ropes, this early spring meeting is a great way to learn about the quarry. You really owe it to yourself to try at least ONE dive, even if you don't go any farther than the airplane, which is right off the one platform, and judge for yourself just how cold it is. The good thing is, depending on the amount of rain that we are getting, the vis should be quite good all weekend. Plus, some of us will have our trailers set up as warming huts, so you have someplace to hang out after the dive, and for as long as you would like to hang around.

Look for the banner that says "Welcome Great Lakes Wrecking Crew", that'll be our little corner of the world.

Just for the sake of record keeping, I may have a clipboard out there for everyone to sign in on, so we can keep track of who attended our first 'annual' spring dive.

Look forward to meeting you all... :bounce:

Damn, it looks like I'm running into problems. My Great Uncle died in January, and he lived on Kelleys Island in Lake Erie ( not that far from Gilboa ) and because it was winter and no boats were running there, it was decided that there would be a service in the spring. Well, they picked 4/17 for the service! Maybe I'll head that way mid week, get a dive in on Friday, head to Kelleys Friday nigh or Saturday morning and return Sunday for another dive. I also had something else come up for that weekend. Very popular date it seems!

Here's a video from my dive buddies taken yesterday at Gilboa. They tell me the temps were around 40 deg F near the plane.

http://www.scubaguys.com/scooter.wmv

It's around a 13mb file, but it will give you an idea of the viz-really nice!

Hey DD, the video was great. Excellent choice soundtrack. The scooter dude reminds me a bit of an underwater PWC'r although I'll assume he was "posing" for the camera and doesn't normally "ride" like that.

Amy,
Come on up to visit but you might want to bring the gear just in case you get the "itch" to get wet. If you bring a couple gallon jugs of hot water with you to dump in your wetsuit right before a dive you might find out you can tolerate a cold dive for 15-30 minutes without being completely miserable.

I'll be diving shallow also, never been to the deep end and don't intend to go any time soon. I hope to be able to determine if I can tell the difference between male and female trout. I'll do that whether or not my AOW student comes up with me.
Ber :lilbunny:

Groundhog246:
Hey DD, the video was great. Excellent choice soundtrack. The scooter dude reminds me a bit of an underwater PWC'r although I'll assume he was "posing" for the camera and doesn't normally "ride" like that.

I think there were a couple of guys using the scooter. It's a new playtoy and I think they were getting used to it. I was really jealous that I wasn't with them!

Amy, if the compressed nitrogen urge gets too bad look for me if I am not already in the water. I will be on the shallow end most of the time myself, but I do have the gear for the other side and will have a deep plan filed for myself for the divers looking for a buddy on the other side. I will also be doing field tests on my digital camera and canister light. My doubles will last longer on the shallow side and I can get more dives in before I need them filled. :)

I can forsee shuttle runs for tanks to get filled with this many dives, so a few people with free truck beds would be appreciated as well.

frankenmuth_tom:
...a sunken forest (which is VERY entertaining when the vis goes away...but that's a story for around the fire...)...
It's also "fun" when you're doing your OW underwater nav and the heading that you've been given takes you right into the trees! :439:

frankenmuth_tom:
Just for the sake of record keeping, I may have a clipboard out there for everyone to sign in on, so we can keep track of who attended our first 'annual' spring dive.

Look forward to meeting you all... :bounce:
If I weren't planning to be on my way back from Florida :54: I'd love to be there (likely on the shore with Amy :loki3:), but I hope we can plan another date in the summer.

-Rob

rab:
It's also "fun" when you're doing your OW underwater nav and the heading that you've been given takes you right into the trees! :439:

-Rob

Or when you are supposed to go in the other direction but end up in the forest anyways :bounce:

rjchandler:
Or when you are supposed to go in the other direction but end up in the forest anyways :bounce:

You mean like the instruction to swim left of north to find the paddlefish? Maybe I should be looking for them in the trees, cuz they sure as hell aren't left of north.

JohnF

JohnF:
You mean like the instruction to swim left of north to find the paddlefish? Maybe I should be looking for them in the trees, cuz they sure as hell aren't left of north.

JohnF
They tend to disappear when there are loads of people around....but I have seen them, and we have the pics to prove it.

We found them just north of the wall over by the bus one clear day.

I would imagine they hear further West and North over in the corner of the quarry where there is nothing on busy days...we found them at around 30 feet if that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom