gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never heard of a doubles/pony requirement to dive the deep end.

It was 39F at 60ft in the deep end on Sat.

rjchandler:
I never heard of a doubles/pony requirement to dive the deep end.

It was 39F at 60ft in the deep end on Sat.

For several years there has been a requirement to have an independent / redundant air source to dive on the deep side. The requirement is for each diver, not dive team. & a dive plan needs to be written on the quarry forms and signed off by a quarry employee. The main deep entrance is a quick walk down from the bathrooms / showers.

Did you dive on the deep side? Or the deeper end of the shallower side? There is a wall seperating & it's very obvious when one dives over the wall to go from the shallow side to the deep side. Which is against the quarry rules.

Paula

Where you one of the divers that was telling me about Belize on Saturday? I remember two divers in a red trailer with red drysuits.

Anyways, that redundancy is part of the requirements for the other side of the wall. The form has several things mentioned and Mike would like to see at least a few of them checked off.

The important ones are doubles or a stage bottle. There is also a line for being on the other side of the wall, but not going below eighty ft. In any case, that form needs to be filled out (by quarry rules) before going on the other side of the wall.

Typically, I hit the deep side from the dock by the plane and swim over. Then, I do the shallow part of my dive in the area by the plane or the forest as that is more interesting than doing deco on the ladder by the deep dock.

Brian -No I wasn't over on the shallow side. I did a dive on the deep end and went home - had a social engagement. But my fingers didn't thaw until I got to Finlay so I couldn't have done a second dive anyway :frown2:

hi guys... ok.. here is the question. I think my husband and I would really like to come ( I won't speak for him). I would just like to meet everyone... but I have to admit, as much as I love underwater, I am definitely a WWW (not to mention a very very green newbie). Can I come up just to visit and hang out for awhile? (how pathetic is that?)

AmyJ:
hi guys... ok.. here is the question. I think my husband and I would really like to come ( I won't speak for him). I would just like to meet everyone... but I have to admit, as much as I love underwater, I am definitely a WWW (not to mention a very very green newbie). Can I come up just to visit and hang out for awhile? (how pathetic is that?)
That is very pathetic, but there is no reason that you and your husband couldn't come and visit. The idea behind our first meeting is to get a chance to put a face with a name, this may not be best if you have just eaten. Since you cannot tell what everyone looks like through there profile you will get a chance to meet them face to face. You may even pick-up a new hobby like darts, NASCAR or beer drinking.

Besides I hear that they have installed a heater in the quarry so projected water temps are in the low to mid 80's.

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the 17th.

Mitten Diver

Amy, we all started with our fist dive. nothing like getting better then to dive more. I'm not exactly a professional either. I have only been certified for about a year. So that means no Deep end at Gilboa for me so you and hubby need to come so I will have some one to dive with in the shallow end. never be afraid to dive cause you dont think your good enough. You should only be afraid to dive when something just isnt right or even doesnt feel right. Then it is ok to call off a dive. Since you think you only feel right in warm water then by all means dont dive. In cold water. But please dont let your inexperience prevent you from diving with us. I like to dive with anybody regardless of their experience I might learn something from some one with more experience or someone with less then mine might learn something from me.

gtxl1200:

So that means no Deep end at Gilboa for me so you and hubby need to come so I will have some one to dive with in the shallow end.
Count on me and JP for the shallows as well. Not enough gear or training for that yet.

Mitten Diver

Amy and all...

If you can deal with the temps Gilboa is a great place to dive. Lots of fish and other cool stuff. If you're not prepared for the deep end you aren't missing a thing. There isn't much to see there down deep.

There are some really great views along some of the walls but I can show you the best views in the whole quarry without ever going into the deep end or deeper than about 40 ft.

If I can get there that week end I'll be happy to play guid for new divers or those that are just new to the quarry.

...there is plenty to do at Gilboa without going over the edge to the deep side. With airplanes and boats and busses and cars to explore, tubes to swim through, a sunken forest (which is VERY entertaining when the vis goes away...but that's a story for around the fire...) to explore and plenty of folks around to show you the ropes, this early spring meeting is a great way to learn about the quarry. You really owe it to yourself to try at least ONE dive, even if you don't go any farther than the airplane, which is right off the one platform, and judge for yourself just how cold it is. The good thing is, depending on the amount of rain that we are getting, the vis should be quite good all weekend. Plus, some of us will have our trailers set up as warming huts, so you have someplace to hang out after the dive, and for as long as you would like to hang around.

Look for the banner that says "Welcome Great Lakes Wrecking Crew", that'll be our little corner of the world.

Just for the sake of record keeping, I may have a clipboard out there for everyone to sign in on, so we can keep track of who attended our first 'annual' spring dive.

Look forward to meeting you all... :bounce:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom