Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there about 3 weeks ago on a very stormy weekend. The dives were still great and I love to go ant time my wife will let me........:eek:ut: :D

I was planning on heading there this weekend with some guys from the LDS, however our plans got canceled do to a report of cold water. Anyone know what the water temps are these days? I heard they were in the love 50's and since I don't own a dry suit that is just too cold for me.

Yep Low 50s but was plenty warm enough with 6.5 and a extra 1/2 mil under that. Plus no crowds. Will be at Whitestar Sunday if anyone in the area is going would love to meet some other divers.

Originally posted by cstreu1026
I was planning on heading there this weekend with some guys from the LDS, however our plans got canceled do to a report of cold water. Anyone know what the water temps are these days? I heard they were in the love 50's and since I don't own a dry suit that is just too cold for me.

This weekend June 1&2 DUI Demo Days is at Gilboa. You can try any drysuit in their line for $5.

I have been to Gilboa last year. It was a good destination for something different. My son started U.of M. last year and before he left, since we were already near the border we thought we would dive there. The fish were quite colorful, and the different wrecks were fun to find, the vis was good. Our local dive shop goes down a couple of times a year. But, it was like Bon-Terre mine, once you've dove there I don't have a big desire to go back. There are more interesting dives closer to home - in Lake Mich.
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

the Dive Mates of Mansfield, OH will be at Gilboa June 8 & 9. we'll have students doing everything from ows to instructor. I understand the water temp is 55 to about 30'.

I was there this weekend for the DUI demo days and also to finish my checkouts for my advanced certification. Saturday was a friggin mess. People everywhere, visibility was shot, oh well. Understandable. The drysuit deal was AWESOME. For $5 you get to try a drysuit dive, got lunch, and got a free DUI hat when you returned the suit. They practically pay YOU to try this stuff! Only word of warning about Gilboa - try to avoid the red head guy that runs the place - he's got a nasty temper and is a control freak. I musta saw him chew out 7 people for various htings throughout the weekend. Enjoy!

The nasty tempered red headed control freak owns the place. The rules he has put in place have gone a long way in reducing the number of injuries at Gilboa (there have been many). When a place is that crowded some rules are needed in order for anyone to enjoy the weekend. What is not needed is people who think that the rules don't apply to them making things hard on everyone else.

Each time I have been to Gilboa I have found the help there friendly. The rules seemed reasonable and have never been chewed out by anyone. Of course if I did it would only be once. I am looking for some different diving in the Detroit area but who isnt looking for a new dive site every minute of every day.
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom