Going BP/w question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An economical way to extend your bottom time would be to sling an AL80 and dive with two tanks. This way you would save the cost of "twinning" them. It's not a permanent set up but good to give you the experience.

Don't forget, with extended bottom time you will go into deco obligation. Do you have the training to handle it?

How interesting that even "The Great Blue H" has broken down and added padding, fancy adjustments/ hardware and accessories to the DIR line.

Looks like they are loosing too much trade to the rest of the manufacturers and bailing on the minimal ideas they created.

Cannot say I blame them for that. Padding sells and buyers love fancy looking hardware.

Wrong read into situation. Simply snagging money they are leaving on table or in Dive Rite's coffers. Also, many people walking into Extreme Exposure (Halcyons's wholly owned dive shop) are recreational divers visiting the nearby springs. You can rest assured that they will be recommending a hog rig for any diver with tec aspirations. Also, the way I look at the situation the more revenue coming into Halcyon the more thay can devote to continued product development related to tec diving. Just my 2 psi worth...

Last edited:
Looks like they are...bailing on the minimal ideas they created.

If you look at the new system you'll see that you couldn't be further from the truth.

If they merely wanted to bail on simplicity they would have just come out with a "D-Lux" harness with buckles and straps and clips aplenty. But they didn't.

Instead, they stood by their guns and maintained the integrity of something that is very important to them: the simplicity and security of a harness comprised of one continuous piece of webbing.

Whatever you think about H or their gear, you have to admire a company that is willing and able to innovate based on the needs of the customer but do it on a way that remains true to their core brand essence. It's very tempting to compromise your principles and just throw together some piece of cr@p simply because you think people will buy it.

Kudos to Halcyon for taking the road less traveled!

Last edited:
Yup.
I'm with RJP and Valhalla on this one.

An economical way to extend your bottom time would be to sling an AL80 and dive with two tanks. This way you would save the cost of "twinning" them. It's not a permanent set up but good to give you the experience.

Don't forget, with extended bottom time you will go into deco obligation. Do you have the training to handle it?

I plan to dive doubles within rec limits so no deco obligations there.

Yes slinging AL80 would be an option if my current BC would handle it but it doesn't. So I am looking for a BP/w and therefore exploring options to have it setup for doubles.

Having previously owned and dove Halcyon BPs and wings I have to say they make great stuff, but they do have a hefty price tag. I had my stuff stolen awhile back and replaced everything with DSS gear. I have yet to have any complaints about any of Tobin's stuff, even after putting 100s of dive on it in everything from saltwater to highly chlorinated pool water. :)

Diving Dbl80s I use a DSS Long steel plate and a Torus42 and love the set-up. I also use a V-weight to bring everything into balance when diving this set-up with my drysuit.

My previous set-ups ... just for reference were:
H Stl plate or OMS AL plate with Eclipse30 (Single 80s and 95s) or Explorer 40 (Dbl80s)
DSS Stl with Torus26 (Single80 or Single95 - depending on suit) or Torus42 (Dbl80s)
DSS Kydex with Torus26 (Single95) or Torus49 (Dbl108s)

I also got to go to the GUE Conference this past weekend and had a chance to look at the new Halcyon stuff. I will say I'm not completely sold on the full Infinity set-up ... simply because I like my single-piece harness and don't mind the bit of work needed to adjust it. I did like the new backpad; the padding was very minimal and it seemed that the pocket was very well constructed. For me the pocket is a great feature of the H pads and I have found some way to get one on every plate I have ever owned.

I plan to dive doubles within rec limits so no deco obligations there.

Yes slinging AL80 would be an option if my current BC would handle it but it doesn't. So I am looking for a BP/w and therefore exploring options to have it setup for doubles.

The beauty with a BP/W setup is that you can buy the plate with harness and a wing for single tank. Then you can dive with one of your AL80.

After you get used to this configuration and before you have to spend any money for a doubles wing, manifold and bands, you take one of your single AL80 and rig it as a stage.

You can then do longer dives, the same as with a set of doubles, gain experience and have more time to put money aside for what follows.

In the end you will be proficient in handling a stage with your doubles. Good thing to have if you want to extend your bottom time.

Last edited:
I also got to go to the GUE Conference this past weekend and had a chance to look at the new Halcyon stuff. I will say I'm not completely sold on the full Infinity set-up ... simply because I like my single-piece harness and don't mind the bit of work needed to adjust it. I did like the new backpad; the padding was very minimal and it seemed that the pocket was very well constructed. For me the pocket is a great feature of the H pads and I have found some way to get one on every plate I have ever owned.

The Infinity BCD was not designed nor is it being marketed with the intent of switching folks from their hog rigs. Rather simply to increase revenues by going head to head with Dive Rite for the Transpac market. Personally I believe new divers should start their diving careers in such units as hog rig adjustments are a bit out of the scope for new recreational divers IMO and slighly claustrophobic for many...

The beauty with a BP/W setup is that you can buy the plate with harness and a wing for single tank. Then you can dive with one of your AL80.

After you get used to this configuration and before you have to spend any money for a doubles wing, manifold and bands, you take one of your single AL80 and rig it as a stage.

You can then do longer dives, the same as with a set of doubles, gain experience and have more time to put money aside for what follows.

In the end you will be proficient in handling a stage with your doubles. Good thing to have if you want to extend your bottom timke

But doubles wing is the same price as single wing. I have two regs that I can use. So extra is just manifold and bands. Rest I can reconfigure my two regs.

Back
Top Bottom