Going Out of Business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there more than one store perhaps? If that's the case, they can just send anything left over to the other store and never have to offer fire sale prices.

It doesn't mean anything. However if they actually say "going out of business sale" , many locations have laws regarding how long the sale can go on for. In the past it wasn't uncommon to find stores that had been "going out of business" for years.

Reminds me of a New Yorker cartoon from decades ago. A man and a boy are standing on the sidewalk outside store on which the windows are plastered with signs reading "Final Days! Everything must go! Business closing!" The caption reads "Son, someday all this will be yours."

It clearly states on the website, "MOVING TO NEW LOCATION" including a photo of "OUR NEW HOME"

Nothing more than "INVENTORY LIQUIDATION, EVERYTHING MUST GO!" That my friends is the point of retail EVERY DAY. Liquidate my inventory, and make room for the next shipment.

Just took scubatoys deal to my in-town LDS and they matched. So I'm happy. Prefer to establish a relationship with and LDS.
I would've thought Scuba Toys was your in-town LDS...

Scuba Toys
1609 S Interstate 35E
Carrollton, TX 75006

that's where I'd go if I lived in DFW...

I looked through his site, applied the "dirt cheap" code and found that his prices are Still higher than other sites, or what I sell the same things for here. Yeah, he's bait and switching, and shucking and jiving.

Nah, just curious if "going out of business" sales are normally done like this. I've already decided to buy my regs from another LDS.

It all depends.....

Some states (including Maine) have laws covering a going out of business sale. Some (furniture) stores were running them only to change their name and keep doing business. We now have a time limit by which they must close. That is not to say that they don't sell out in the end to have somebody re-open and continue on the premises.

I have never seen a going out of business sale that opens at rock bottom. Starting with a 20 or 15% discount is common. Dog items may get marked down sooner. Even modest markdowns will cause a feeding frenzy that cleans out the commonly desired items. Then as the cream is skimmed away the prices drop and the bottom feeders move in.

A liquidator often comes in to clean out the remaining stuff and haul it away. A local surplus / salvage chain had a lot of just such merchandise earlier this summer.

It is also possible that the inventory and shop have already been turned over to a hired liquidator that is actually conducting the remaining business. This is not uncommon, especially if bankruptcy is involved.

Personally I usually look for items that have little warranty burden or that are such a steal that I can live with the risk. You need to be very objective at these sales. It's easy to compromise 50% on what you want and only save 25%.

Pete

White men can't haggle.

The irony of the cartoon that that has been published all over the world for decades is that we still jump.

In my experience going out of business never meant that there are great prices there. I remember in 2003 ish when plasma tvs were still an arm and a leg.... there was this store going out of business. So I walked in being enticed by 50-75% off signs all over the outside. I quickly found that it only applied to things that nobody wants to buy like 4000 ft of tv cable. Other times and this happens quite often with retail stores... They make an item 50% off but raise it in value 40% so in the end they sell you same item for 90% of the original cost. Its a marketing ploy that works like a charm. Buy one get one free.. buy 10 get 3 free... free shipping on orders over 250 just to name a few.

Like my grandpa used to say.. there is no such thing as free lunch.

Back
Top Bottom