Going to Belize...need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all of the info ... :dazzler1: :dazzler1: We are leaving for Belize on May 23rd and staying for 10 days at Ramon's Village. Hopefully things will be as we expect. Really looking forward to the diving and relaxation.

Tam

tam:
Thanks for all of the info ... :dazzler1: :dazzler1: We are leaving for Belize on May 23rd and staying for 10 days at Ramon's Village. Hopefully things will be as we expect. Really looking forward to the diving and relaxation.

Tam

We want a trip report, please - after you get back and wash your gear... :eyebrow:

tam:

Tam
I hope you bring some good weather with you. It's been kind of junk lately. Well, for here anyway. But June 2 is the full moon and you may get some whale shark action if you head south to Placencia and go to Gladden Spit.

Just got back from Belize on Saturday. As of about 3:00AM Sunday, I can say:
DON'T DRINK THE WATER!!!!!!!!!

dnhill

We drank the water for 2 weeks and absolutly NO problems. If you dive with Ramon's, and I suggest you do, please ask for Turiano Vasquez, one of thier Dive Masters, and say hello from David and Debra. Tell him we will be beck in 2/05.

dnhill:
Just got back from Belize on Saturday. As of about 3:00AM Sunday, I can say:
DON'T DRINK THE WATER!!!!!!!!!

Chivas:
We drank the water for 2 weeks and absolutly NO problems.

Where do you live, Chivas?

Some people have resistance to some pathogens - usually from prior exposure - that some people get sick over. In general, no one used to treated water should drink water than is not treated. I never drink untreated water other than on West Texas farms, and then only if I know the well personally. When I got to Belize next month, I'll treat my own.

Treating water has saved more human lives in history than all medical procedures combined. Why treat a sickness you can prevent...?? :wink:

Drinking water In Belize

BE VERY CAREFUL

Check if the hotel gets it water from the water authority most hotels in town HAVE TO BE hooked up to the water and sewerage company however Hotels located North and south of town are on wells you have to check before drinking the water else you could be spending your vacation on the toilet or even worse.

Bottled water is readily available and I advise everyone to drink only bottled water as DandyDon is correct everyone has different tolerance levels and its just not worth it risking your vacation for the sake of saving a few bucks on bottled water.

Have fun and Dive Safe

Gaz Cooper

Tam - Have you gone on your vacation to Belize yet? I went last year and had a great time, even though it could be quite the adventure at times. Here are some quick tips:

--If you stay north of town, you'll really want to rent a golf cart for the week, but be warned -- the "floating platform" manually operated by some local folks is the only way to get your golf cart across a canal that separates the main part of the island from the northern end, and they close shop around eight each evening. You could call for a boat taxi, but that's really not so cheap when you consider $20/round trip/two people. Next time I will either be in town or south of town.
--Where ever you choose to stay, make sure the hotel has a generator back-up system in place. Ours did not, so when the entire country lost power for 3 days, we had no electricity, no water, very limited resources for meals, no lights on the dock, and no way to call for a boat taxi to get us to town.
--Take bug repellant. You'll need it!
--We did multiple dives and snorkeling trips with Amigos Del Mar and really liked them, especially the all day Blue Hole 3-dive trip. The wall dives were wonderful.
--When you're ready to stock the frig, there is a beer and water distributor on the back road (I think), across the street from a grocery store. The prices for beer and water by the case were much cheaper there.
--Don't bother to pack "nice" clothes - you will be hot, sweaty and dirty for most of your trip and won't need them. Just enjoy the adventure of it all. I had a blast driving around a golf cart all week.
--I just got back from some diving in Hawaii, and one of the divers said he had a horrible experience with Journey's End for both the hotel and the diving. They canceled most of his pre-paid dive trips, he'd be the last to find out about it, then they tried to keep his money until he had the US office get involved.

If you'd like to hear more, please feel free to email me at: aheaitley@edensandavant.com

Have fun!

We stayed at Ramon's last Feb and dove with Turiano Vasques at Ramon's. NEVER crowded and everyone had a fabulous time. We were there for 10 days, dove every day and was never bored. Turiano got me down from 14 lbs to 8lbs. Considering that I'm 250 and wear a 3mm shorty I thought that he did a great job coaching me. We are going back next March!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom