Going to Kauai July 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sheraton Caverns and Fast Lanes would be on my must-do list.

I am back home from a great 2 weeks in Kauai. My son-in-law got his OW certification through SeaSport Divers the first week we were there. My daughter and I did some dives at Koloa Landing while he was taking his class. We saw lots of turtles, eels (including the Hawaiian Dragon eel), a Leaf Scorpion fish, several Devil Scorpion fish, and assorted other fish. I never did find a Frogfish unfortunately.

IMG_7837.jpgIMG_8066.jpgIMG_8237.jpgIMG_8274.jpgIMG_8243.jpgIMG_7982.jpg

After finishing his class, my son-in-law and I did several more dives at Koloa Landing. We saw a couple more big Dragon eels, big Moray eels, several Devil Scorpion fish, a big Porcupine Puffer, some Lizard fish, a large bed of Purple Sea Urchins, and an octopus that put on quite a show for us.

IMG_8046.jpgIMG_8041.jpgIMG_8330.jpgIMG_8632.jpgIMG_8361.jpgIMG_8412.jpgIMG_8362.jpgIMG_8383.jpgIMG_8392.jpg

We did 2 boat dives with FathomFive. We wanted to do more, but they were booked up already. Next time I will make reservations farther in advance. The first trip was just the 3 of us on the boat. We went to Sheraton Caverns and Tortugas. We saw lots of turtles at Sheraton and none at Tortugas. We did see a LOT of Moray eels though. One was huge. The neck looked at least 12" across. I got to see my first Banded Butterfly fish. There was a Pink Tail Trigger that would attack our fins every time we swam by it.
The second trip had 6 divers on board. We dove Harbor Ledges and then Ice Box. We saw 2 white tips and a grey shark at Ice Box. The boat dives were a lot of fun.

IMG_8492.jpgIMG_8562.jpgIMG_8116.jpgIMG_8119.jpgIMG_8123.jpgIMG_8137.jpgIMG_8138.jpgIMG_8152.jpg
IMG_8494.jpgIMG_8532.jpgIMG_8554.jpgIMG_8566.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8433.jpg
    IMG_8433.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8435.jpg
    IMG_8435.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8440.jpg
    IMG_8440.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 47
I initially asked if anyone had dove Anini Reef. We did one dive there. It is a very long surface swim out to the channel and back from the edge of the reef. When we dropped down into the channel the visibility was bad. We barely saw a Spotted Eagle Ray that swam by us. As we swam out of the channel to the outer edge of the reef the visibility got progressively better. I saw another Spotted Eagle Ray. The fish here are not used to divers and were more skittish then other places we dove. I saw some corals that I haven't seen anywhere else. I also saw some type of kelp that looked like sea lettuce. It was a cool experience diving an area that very few people have dove and seeing some new things.

Entering Anini.jpg
View attachment 161047View attachment 161048View attachment 161049IMG_8443.jpgIMG_8439.jpgIMG_8446.jpgIMG_8453.jpgIMG_8455.jpgIMG_8465.jpg

Travis here on Kauai. If your on island and wish to explore the reefs I can offer a personalized experience that will get you diving some great spots. Let's go diving!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom