Going to Kauai July 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the great things about diving here on Kauai is that you'll find rave reviews for all the companies here. I've felt for years that the overall professionalism among DM's here is impressive to say the least. The nature of the diving here requires a high level of dedication on the part of the dive professionals. With more than enough divers to go around and support the various companies it doesn't really have a competitive nature and most DM's work together with one another regardless of affiliation. Though I have done 1,000's of dives here I have never heard of diving up at Anini so it had me interested in finding out more. The primary diving here is to the south with the exception of Tunnels beach on the north shore. Summer allows for diving the island of Niihau as well which is often considered to be among - if not the best diving in Hawaii. The only "shops" on the island are Fathom Five and Seasport on the south side - and a small Seasport shop in Kapaa (east side) which is primarily a spearfishing store - though rental gear and tanks are avail there. If I were to suggest someone that is an expert on north shore diving I would say that Jeanette Thompson with Fathom Five is your best bet. She has been diving the north shore for around 20 years (maybe more). I don't know of a shop that rents anything north of Kapaa, but most shops bring gear and tanks for the divers at Tunnels. Koloa as you know is a great spot and given the chance to return as a certified diver there may open some exciting opportunities there. I did dive with customers there the other day and had a fantastic morning. Critters we saw included 2 frogfish, red and green endemic lionfish, 6 species of eels (including rare freckled snake eels), 3 leaf scorpions, devil scorpions, turtles, octopus, a Kona crab, cleaner and banded shrimp, a red spotted nudibranch and more...

Hopefully this info helps a bit. If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a PM as I am on the board 2-3 times per week.

Have a fantastic day

Thanks AquamanKauai, I will give Jeanette a call to see if she would like to dive Anini. I will PM you when our departure date gets closer.

Much better than Molokini back wall.

Jeff

---------- Post added February 19th, 2013 at 12:17 PM ----------

Ambers Arches. Named by the dive operator Linda, after her daughter, Amber. Also an employee there.

Jeff

Ahhhhh I wondered about that, she was the girl who gave my wife the class for her discover diving and was my dive buddy for my shore dives. I can't say enough about how awesome she was. Very patient with my wife (she was a little apprehensive about trying diving). And she showed me lots of animals I would have probably never seen if she hadn't been there to point them out. When we go back to Kauai I will be booking more dives with them, hopefully to Niihau.

I'll be in Kaua'i late April. I just booked on with Bubbles Below for Ni'ihau, hopefully it will be te malino o te Moana !

Please post an update after your dives.

Another vote for Bubbles Below and Niihau/Lehua Rock. I was lucky enough to be on one of the first recreational dive trip to go to Niihau. We were on a boat called the Jubilee. It was a big boat compared to the 6-8 diver boats I had dived from before. But it was so slow. 4 hours there and 6 back to Port Allen. At one point my dad in a weakend seasick state tried to get a flare gun from his friend who was driving the boat. He wanted to shoot himself with it. Our first dive was 150 ft+ viz. It was to be my real deep dive and as our group moved from the anchor to the edge of the drop off I was stunned to see 4 good sized sharks about 100 ft below us. We dropped off the side and from that point on I was hooked. I was lucky enough to dive it with Linda and Bubbles Below most summers after that up until 2009 when I left for Bali. Fun drifts, deep water, blue water swims, lava tubes, and swimthroughs. So many good time with my Kauai Ohana at Bubbles Below. Ps Anini is a long swim if you are gonna dive it from shore. Grab a rental kayak for an easy ride. Currents generally run with the trade winds out of the northeast. Be safe and dive within your limits.

Malama Pono.

Ps Anini is a long swim if you are gonna dive it from shore. Grab a rental kayak for an easy ride. Currents generally run with the trade winds out of the northeast. Be safe and dive within your limits.

Malama Pono.

Thanks for the input. I have swam out to the edge of Anini Reef several times snorkeling. It is a long swim, but well worth it. I was thinking that we would swim out half way and drop down into one of the two channels near where we start.

We are finally in Kauai and looking forward to our first dive. I think we will probably go to Koloa Landing. Does anyone have other favorite sites?
Several of the Bubbles Below sites sound really interesting.
Anahola Drops
Deep Pinnacle
Mana Crack
Shananagans

Aloha bperc,

If you like (safe) swim troughs and reef walls, look at Tunnels beach on the North Shore. This dive can be guided or you can grab some tanks and explore on your own. There are 3-4 dive shop/operators that give guided tours there or you could grab some gear/tanks from SeaSport in Kapaa (East) or Fathom/SeaSport in Koloa (South).

Bubbles travels out of Port Allen they will take you to a lot of dive sites Fathom/SeaSport do not travel to, so they will offer more choices of dive spots from a boat. No matter who you dive with, if the DMs know where all the aquatic life is and finds clear water, you will have a blast on all your dives.

Hope this helps a little, let us know if you have any other questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom